• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ken Schramm Signature Series!?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
I have heard through the grape vines that Ken is going to make a series of self made meads for market? :-X I'm not telling where I heard it but just want to know if the rumors are true! Man that would be awesome to see.

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
I'll take one of each please... :toothy10:
Just let me know when, where, and how to get them and I'm in. I can make gift baskets including a bottle of his, a bottle of mine, and a copy of his awesome book to show people how I did it.

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
Perhaps I may shed some light on this issue.

Brad and I have reached an agreement to produce and release a batch of the Heart of Darkness, and hopefully a small line of other meads which Brad and I feel are worthy of both the Ken Schramm Signature Series designation and the B. Nektar Meadery label.  I will be handling the mead making duties.

The Heart of Darkness will not be inexpensive, as it will be crafted with fruit that I have grown myself, and that was hand harvested and pitted by my family and me.  It represents the overwhelming percentage of my production.  As such, the price will represent the fact that I will not be sharing that mead with my friends and family.

I am looking forward to this adventure with great anticipation.

Ken

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Ken,

I see that Brad's worked a particularly special brand of magic on you! ;D I'm glad that his initiative, his proximity, his offer for use of B Nektar production facilities, and your desire to get some Heart of Darkness into commercial channels have all come together to make this a possibility. It will take complex meads and melomels such as HoD to really push high quality mead into the commercial mainstream. Well, perhaps into the commercial "high end" channels, anyway. I suspect that many of us will have to partner with a "wine snob" friend or acquaintance in order to be able to afford to pick up a bottle or two! ;)

Nevertheless, Brad, PLEASE get some agreements in place that will allow you to distribute, or at least serve by mail, the state of Colorado. :help:

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Are you going to try and institute a waiting list for at least some of the possible production? Or when should we start lining up with deck chairs outside of your establishment to be near the front of the line? ::)

Odinsson

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2008
So I remember reading the book, but I don't remember the recipe. Is it in another or something that you have developed outside of it and not released? The reason I ask is that everyone sounds excited that it is that particular one and I'm wondering if I should go look through the book again.

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Is there a waiting list yet? I'll even put down a deposit! Just let me know when/where to send the money!

:cheers:

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
BTW, Brad. Will you be setting up any mead clubs or mead circles anytime soon? I'd live to automatically receive a bottle every quarter or month.

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Kee said:
Is there a waiting list yet? I'll even put down a deposit! Just let me know when/where to send the money!

:cheers:

Kee,

We haven't setup a waiting list as of yet, but once we do be assured that it will be announced here on GotMead.com. Right now, we're still about 3 months away from our estimated release. We're also still trying to lock down pricing and distribution. I'm still not certain if we'll be able to sell these outside of Michigan, but I'm trying my best to get mail-order capabilities for most states.

I hadn't thought of doing a mead club where we send out new bottles every so often, but it sounds like a good idea. Again though, I'll have to look into the legalities of mail-order to all the different states.

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Odinsson said:
So I remember reading the book, but I don't remember the recipe. Is it in another or something that you have developed outside of it and not released? The reason I ask is that everyone sounds excited that it is that particular one and I'm wondering if I should go look through the book again.

This recipe for this is not in his book.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns