• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

SG reading frequency?

Barrel Char Wood Products

EBCornell

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2008
Connecticut
So I finally got a hydrometer yesterday and was able to take my first reading. Which of course lead to a question or 5.
Firstly, how often do you all recommend taking readings? I'm worried that if I take too many I won't have anything left in the carboy to bottle when this is all through...
(or am I really supposed to return the sample to the carboy?)

liff

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
Phoenix
Different people, different styles.

I read twice a day through the 1/3rd sugar break and when bottleing. I float the hydrometer in the must, so no sample is taken out.

The way I see it is that glass is very easy to sanitize, so I can sanitize the hydrometer just as I sanitize my aerating spoon. But the plastic spoon is more difficult to get the same level of sanitization because it is plastic. So I am very not worried about floating the glass hydrometer in the must.

Some people like to remove samples because they taste the progress. I generally do not do this.

Either way works, it just depends on your style.

Liff

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I usually will check once a day until the 1/3 sugar break. After that, I'm generally too lazy (or tired :sleepy2:) to keep checking. When it stops bubbling I'll make sure it is finished (and not stuck). Sometimes I take the sample out for tasting. Sometimes I leave it in. I am finding that I get the best results when I do as much "nothing" as possible.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I'll do two readings per day in primary until I get to the 1/3 break - then generally one per day until the rate of fermentation slows. When I'm doing a traditional mead I'll just stick the hydrometer directly into my bucket. When I'm doing a melomel that has a fruit cap, I'll draw out a sample with a wine thief and test that. Generally with melomels I have enough extra in the primary bucket that I'm not worried about losing too much to "spillage" samples. ;) Besides, I like to taste how things are progressing with my melomels. :drunken_smilie:

Odinsson

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2008
I checked it once a day up to the 1/3 sugar break, but then spent a couple of days away from home with my gf and didn't take one till the other day when fermenting had about stopped. While I think it would be easier in a fermenting bucket, I haven't used one yet, I've always been worried about breaking my hydrometer in the mead so I haven't put it into the carboy. They just seem so frail, and while they are not expensive themselves, all the contents of a carboy adds up fast. I have been looking at refractometers recently and they one take a few drops, they say, to read the gravity; so if your making a small batch taking too many readings does take a lot of mead.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Odinsson said:
so if your making a small batch taking too many readings does take a lot of mead.

Ergo, making small batches is depressing :sad10: (and should be avoided)!

I routinely use a refractometer. It is faster and easier, but you do have to use a calculator/spreadsheet to make the conversions once fermentation has commenced and alcohol (which throws off the readings) is in the mix.

Odinsson

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2008
Medsen Fey said:
Odinsson said:
so if your making a small batch taking too many readings does take a lot of mead.

I routinely use a refractometer. It is faster and easier, but you do have to use a calculator/spreadsheet to make the conversions once fermentation has commenced and alcohol (which throws off the readings) is in the mix.

Having to do all of that does make it seem even less worth the $60 for it. And if your experiementing with a recipe small batches are way cheaper then making something that tastes horrid or messes up.

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Medsen Fey said:
Odinsson said:

Or just only take an Original Gravity reading and a Final Gravity reading with small (1 gallon) batches. While they take more effort per volume that a larger batch, they are a great way to test ingredients and ideas that would be overly expensive with a larger batch.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns