• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Metallic taste due to kegging

Barrel Char Wood Products

youngmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Regina, SK
Hello everybody,

To start off, I have had this problem with beer, twice, I am posting it here now because I would like to keg my mead, (carbonate prior to bottling) and I would like to ensure I do not waste a good batch of mead. I produce beer from kits in between batches of mead. the first time I experienced a metallic taste was with a pilsner, the last gallon or so (that would have been several months if not more ago). I did not think much of it for it never happened again (one or two more bathes or beer since with a small hiatus of brewing beer) The other night however, wile showing off my wares it happened again. What could this be due to. This batch happened to be a bitter, and did sit a while without being connected to a co2 tank and out of my fridge, however the colour and taste of the first couple of glasses was good (one guest did say he noticed a slightly prior to the rest), so I do not think there was any oxidization. What could cause this, or what can i do to prevent it? I do not want to contaminate the batches of mead that I have ready to carbonate/bottle. Any help of suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks,
YoungMeadman

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I have never had any meads pick up a metallic flavor while sitting in a Cornelius keg for extended periods - not even batches that I have cooked at high temperature (see the Meadeira thread in the Patron's Brewlogs). Stainless steel shouldn't be giving a metallic flavor.

Are there any other metallic items that might have had contact with your mead/beer? I had some metal taste in some beer that I bottled using a counter-pressure filler with brass fittings. I am not certain that was the cause, but after changing to an all stainless version, I have not had another occurrence.

Medsen

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
How about your recipe and process of how you made and treated it (nutrients, aeration, temperature and batch management, etc.).

Also, need to know how your sanitized and prepared your keg including type of sanitizer, mixture ratio, length of exposure to the sanitizer, and temp (or your best guess) of the beer when introduced to the keg, and when dispensed. Also, how did you clean the beer lines, what did you use, etc.

Cheers,

Oskaar

youngmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Regina, SK
Sorry I guess I should have been a little more clear.
I used star stan sanitizer and let it sit for around the directed amount of time (might have been a little longer my guess round 3-5 minutes). I then rinsed with water.(I know you don't have to, but I didn't want sitting sanitizer reacting with the metal). I used Muntons bitter beer kit and followed the directions.So I did not add any nutrients or anything like that. I brew in my basement, and it would have sat over summer, and I gave two kegs (it being one) to my brother for a while too, so it ranged alot probably from 18-30˚C. Not sure how long it sat in the keg, a while though, I remember having it during May long, (I was out of C02 and unable to despence). I clean my lines like I clean all of my other equipment, I take them apart, general cleaner, rinse sanitize (again star stan).

I think I have anything, if not please just say
Thanks,
YoungMeadman

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
No worries.

Listen I don't see that you did anything obvious that may impart that metallic taste. The general things that I'd look for would be what type of boil kettle, the condition and age of the malt extract storage container (doesn't Munton's use metallic containers?), well water, etc.

I dunno, nothing seems obvious. Think of the things you take for granted.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

youngmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Regina, SK
Okay thanks Oskaarm

Muntons does use metallic containers, and I did use well water, but it is from my grandparents farm and they sell it, and I use it for every batch I do, so I know it can't be it. I figure it must have been the container, or perhaps the temp changes. What ever it was, when I go to keg my mead, I'll be careful in the rinse and storage. Now that I think of it, I have kegged a gallon batch, and there was no metallic taste to it, so it must be some uncontrollable event, or something I have greatly overlooked. Moreover, I should be fine with the mead, I'll take the precautions and pray for the best.

Thanks for your advice,
YoungMeadman

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Hi YoungMeadMan,

Could also be that you had poorly stored malt. Check out the following from "How to Brew":

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.

Angus

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns