• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fermintation bucket size

Barrel Char Wood Products

BluesGuy

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 26, 2008
Ok probably a noob kind of question but.....I am going to start getting my equipment together to brew. And I was wondering sense I plan on brewing both mead's and beer is there anything wrong with using a six and a half gallon brew pail that I would use as a primary fermentation vassal for beer as a primary for doing three gallon batches of mead.

BluesGuy

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 26, 2008
Great....I knew that I would need to be able to stir things and punch down the cap....I was just worried about the size of head space using that big a bucket with only a 3gallon size batch....but you guys are the experts.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
For primary fermentation, the worry is usually too little headspace instead of too much. All the CO2 produced is more than enough to purge the space above the liquid. For secondary vessels, you'll want to minimize air space.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I use 10 gallon fermentation buckets for primary whenever I'm doing a melomel that will have fruit in it, and I use a 6.5 for trads, meth, cysers, etc.

When you use as much fruit as I do a 10 gallon bucket is a must (get it?)

BluesGuy

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 26, 2008
Got it........heh. Thank for the help guys....guess I'll make a trip after work.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns