• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I think it might be stuck...

Barrel Char Wood Products

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
OK so I made a cyser last week and I thought it was fermenting along because there were bubbles in the airlock and on the surface of the liquid. In addition, it foamed a lot when I mixed it.

The problem is that when I tried to take my hydrometer reading, I ran into trouble. Initially the hydrometer is rather low in the liquid, reading roughly 1.065 only 5 days after the pitching of the yeast, which I thought seemed a bit fast because the bubbles weren't coming out that vigorously. But after this initial reading, the hydrometer rises for about a minute until it gets back to about 1.120. So I am not sure which reading to believe.

The process and notes thus far are in the brewlog, here is the link to it.

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13554

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
It sounds like it is fermenting. It would help you to know your starting gravity - The Mighty JamesP's calculator is an awesome tool, but it does not take the place of measuring as there can be great variability in honey and apple juice.

To get an accurate reading take your sample and really de-gas it well. You can even microwave it for a few seconds to help. Then take a reading that you feel confident in. I will repeat my gravity measurements more than once, just to be sure.

Then tomorrow, follow the same process and get another reading you can be sure of, and compare.

By the way, what temperature are you keeping it?

I hope that helps,
Medsen

Last edited:

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
well the temperature in the room is about 60ish give or take a few degrees, I'm in philly to its pretty cold around now, and the house costs a lot to heat so we keep it around 60, but the bucket itself is pretty warm to the touch. I don't have a thermometer that could accurately measure the temp inside the bucket at the moment.

I noticed you said you degas you sample, does that mean you should take your hydrometer reading after you've aerated? I took mine before because I figured the foam would get in the way of my reading, I usually just clean the hydrometer then throw it in the primary as opposed to taking a sample, but I suppose I should start taking samples for more accurate readings.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
but I suppose I should start taking samples for more accurate readings.

Yep. At least until you feel comfortable getting good readings.

The 60F temp will keep your fermentation on the slow side. That may be a good thing as you probably retain more volatile aromatic compounds with a slower fermentation. As long as you see it making progress it is fine at that temp. If it stalls, you may want it a few degrees warmer to help get it going again.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
The 60F temp will keep your fermentation on the slow side. That may be a good thing as you probably retain more volatile aromatic compounds with a slower fermentation.

Interesting, I didn't know fast and vigorous fermentations were any different than slower ones, cool. Thanks for your help.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns