• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JAO not fermenting yet.

Barrel Char Wood Products

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
I must be jinked, I swear. Here is my brewlog.
1 gallon batch
3 1/2 lbs Clover (will finish sweet) may have been a little more (or less) as honey had crystallized and had a hard time getting it out and measured.
1 Large orange (cut small to fit in bottle)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon (was a really big stick)
1 whole clove
a pinch of nutmeg and allspice
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast
Cleaned and sanitized all, including bowl and wire whip to mix up honey and water.
Put honey in hot water for about 1.5 hours before starting. Took large bowl and wire whip, mixed honey with small amount of warm water, alternating between pouring hot water into honey to add more and mixing with wire whip. Once most of the honey was dissolved (or I thought it was) I poured it into the carboy.
Wash/sanitized then rinsed orange cut into small pieces, was a big orange.
Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick (broke in pieces as a big as carboy), and spices.
Added water to where it curves up.
Took 45 minutes to get stuff mixed in, not sure if some of the honey didn’t get mixed up didn’t think I saw any more crystals but there was a lot of stuff floating on the bottom already.
put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast here is where I lost track of what I was doing still did some vigorous shaking after the yeast cause I saw some honey crystals.
Covered with a dark shirt and put on the kitchen counter this was at about 9:30 pm, I do turn down the heat at night.
Was not really burping when I left this morning, temp of carboy was 68, put it by running dishwasher to warm it up. My house is cool as we are in the negative temps here.

Still not doing anything, looked like it was doing a real slow blip this morn before I left but that is all... So,,, what next... :confused:

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I wouldn't worry yet. Overnight is not necessarily long enough to generate a huge vigorous fermentation, you're probably still in the lag stage.

What does the surface look like? Is there still undissolved honey at the bottom?

My guess is you'll come home to a very happy mead. ;D

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
A bit more patience before you panic. ;) If you are seeing some CO2 release (some airlock activity) then things are starting up -- just slowly, and that could be because of the colder than average temps. JAO has been known to start radically differently for different folks. But eventually it does take off.

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
well it is not bubbling yet, does look like it is trying, there is some bubbles around the top. Tis sitting on the propane stove hoping the pilot lite will help it heat up some.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I wouldn't get it too hot. 68-70 should be plenty warm.

Is this in a glass jug with a rubber stopper or something with a large gasket seal like a bucket? Often folks worry about their airlocks but it turns out that there is a leak and fermentation is going along just fine. Either way, don't stress out about counting bubbles. If it is producing little bubbles, you're probably off and running. Does it sound fizzy?

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My first JAO seemed to take longer to get started than other meads. I think it's the recipe.

Do you still have some bread yeast? You can always repitch the bread yeast; it won't do anything bad to the batch, and you'll probably feel better.

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
I threw in another tsp. Must be doing something now as the house is no warmer yet the bottle has jumped up to 72. lots of foam on the top but not much other activity. I don't know if it is the three piece air locks (inner piece sitting at an angle) or what.

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
You can actually see this thing cooking along now. Switched the airlock to the s curve as I don't like the three piece ones sometimes. It is up to 75 degrees now. Guess I get to watch it perk along on the counter now, with a Guard T to keep the light out of course. ;D

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
Thanks hope that I am starting to get a handle on this stuff now. Had to move it to the closet, it was in the way of cooking as my cupboards are not big enough. But still perking nicely.

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
I can't believe that this is still working away, a raisin is floating at half mast. ;D I did forget to top it off so will just let it go as is, just curious now to see how long it will take for the fruit to fall and I can taste and rack. Haven't touched it, except to move it, just waiting. :)

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
After doing some more reading about temps and such I decided to get this JAO a little warmer as the current temp it is at is 65. So this morning I set up a bucket with warm water in it up to where the bottle starts to curve in, put the brewbelt on and the jao inside. Started ferementing so much I had to removed some liquid. Now is going strong. So will keep this at 70 until it is done this way.

Disthetic

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 14, 2009
Cleveland Ohio
After doing some more reading about temps and such I decided to get this JAO a little warmer as the current temp it is at is 65. So this morning I set up a bucket with warm water in it up to where the bottle starts to curve in, put the brewbelt on and the jao inside. Started ferementing so much I had to removed some liquid. Now is going strong. So will keep this at 70 until it is done this way.

Ya, my JAO seems to be bubbling like crazy at 78°. I put my jug in a bucket of water and added a cheap aquarium heater to it. It's still really cold in Cleveland.

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
Tis below zero here. Mine is now at 75. I will have to be patient with the other batches I have going as the cold is going to make them take longer to finish. At least the yeast I am using for those is of the low end of temp requirements.

mjdtexan

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2009
Houston(ish)
Thats weird, within one hour mine was cooking away. I've had it going three days now. Its my first ever attempt at mead/wine making. The waiting is really tough

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
I need to keep into thought that my temp in the house will be below 70 unless I use a brew belt. Causing everything that requires heat to ferment to have a hard time. Once I got this brewing thought it was fine but the belt these last two days has really had it kicking. :D Tis so much fun keeping it warm when it is below zero outside.:rolleyes:

Chuck76

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2009
NC
My JAO(+blueberries) starts bubbling every few hours for only a few minutes. It bubbles exactly once every 5 seconds during that time. But it only does it a few times a day, and during the night I'm assuming.

Things look great and it's doing it's thing from the bottom up. It's clearing slowly, as it's 2 weeks in and is a slightly hazy dark rose color. No funny smells and I'm very much looking forward to the next batch.

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
Same here, Wish I could see more of the activity but since it has to sit in a bucket, to keep warm I can't really see much but what is going on the top. Bubbles moving through all of the time and really like it's heat.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns