• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A quick question

Barrel Char Wood Products

mjdtexan

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2009
Houston(ish)
I was reading the "The Newbee Guide to Making Mead - Chapter 3: Additional Ingredients " and in it I read the following

-If you're using fresh fruit, peel or clean, cut up, and freeze. Freezing breaks the cell walls, and will help release more of the fruit flavor later. This should not be done with apples or citrus.

Would this be recommened for watermelon¿

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Welcome to Got Mead?

No, watermelon is a different animal entirely.

Use it as fresh as you can get it, seed it, then use the pulp and juice in the primary followed by another addition of fresh juice in the secondary. Ferment it at the bottom end of the temperature tolerance of the yeast you are going to use. I like 71B-1122 or DV10 for this one.

Cheers, Oskaar

mjdtexan

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2009
Houston(ish)
Welcome to Got Mead?

No, watermelon is a different animal entirely.

Use it as fresh as you can get it, seed it, then use the pulp and juice in the primary followed by another addition of fresh juice in the secondary. Ferment it at the bottom end of the temperature tolerance of the yeast you are going to use. I like 71B-1122 or DV10 for this one.

Cheers, Oskaar

Thank You. I grow yellow meated and orange meated (high sugar content) watermelons. I plant in March and 80ish days later I have watermelon. I have not made any wine myself but yesterday evening I ordered a wine equipment kit, a Island Mist Blackberry Kit, a bunch of the chemicals and a degassing whip. I did order that particular yeast (Lalvin71B-1122) and I also ordered some Red Star Mantrochet (sp?). I ordered a few extra bungs, with and without drilled holes of various sizes, as well a few air locks. I am sure I missed something (I know I did, I forgot the acid test thing.) and I will get them when I cross that road.

The first thing I am going to make is that Joe's Ancient Orange and SpiceMead
. I saw it on another forum. Thats what made me do a search on Mead and thats how I landed here.

So, in a few days I should have a gallon of mead brewing (supposing the vendor is timely). :eek:

Mike D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'd be cognizant of your coliform bacteria count in watermelons you grow. This may be a case where sulfite is a beneficial addition prior to pitching your yeast. Depending on the type of fertilization you use and what kinds of counts you see it would be a good idea to have a handle on the numbers you're seeing there. Either way, I think I'd be more inclined at this point to go with DV10 as it is a more vigorous yeast, and has an active kill factor that will take out any spoilage yeast that may be present as well.

Cheers,

Oskaar

mjdtexan

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2009
Houston(ish)
Thank You for the advise. You did make me go look up "coliform". I compost my soil and then let it sit for a while before I plant anything. Not a big fertilizer fan (except compost).

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Coliform bacteria are generally present to greater or lesser degrees in soil everywhere owing to the presence of dogs, cats, rats, mice, gophers, moles, voles, opossums, coyotes, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Just ringing the bell for caution! DUNG DUNG DUNG

Cheers, Oskaar

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
No, Pete'S HIT the nail on the head. This is not some caca-mamie idea. Many people have had failed watermelon wines because they often spoil quickly despite a large number of man-ures of work. It's not the fecal finger of fate at work, but spoilage organisms. There are some steps you can take.

First - keep everything as clean as possible and wash off the melons
#2 - Use sulfites liberally
Turd - Keep the fermentation temp as low as possible, another reason DV10 is good.

I'll be interested to se-wage you can do with it.

Medsen
having more fun than a 3rd grader should be allowed. :)

mjdtexan

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2009
Houston(ish)
No, Pete'S HIT the nail on the head. This is not some caca-mamie idea. Many people have had failed watermelon wines because they often spoil quickly despite a large number of man-ures of work. It's not the fecal finger of fate at work, but spoilage organisms. There are some steps you can take.

Turd - Keep the fermentation temp as low as possible, another reason DV10 is good.

I'll be interested to se-wage you can do with it.

Medsen
having more fun than a 3rd grader should be allowed. :)

No No, I wasnt saying his post was BS. I was going with the whole "dung dung" and "holy crap" play on words because of the coliform bacteria. I would never just outright say something like that when I was fishing for answers. I am sorry to have given that impression.

Yes, I've been told that watermelon wine or mead is somewhat difficult to do. I do appreciate that fact. I am a little stubborn and I think I can get it done. I do appreciate the tips though.

After re-reading your post, I realize you were doing the same play on words that we were, only you did it better :)

. :)

How low can I keep the fermentation¿

Last edited:

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I've got D254, BA-11, RC-212, and R#2 all plunging away at 59ºF right now. D-47 has worked for me around that temp too. Things go slower than if it were warm, but they still go. The yeast might experience a little straining, so don't forget to dump in some nutrients occasionally. Watch out for that sulfur!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns