• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Novice meadmaker needs yeast advice.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Keith Bennett

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 25, 2009
Sanborn, IA.
Hello fellow mead makers. I am in need of a little help concerning the amount of yeast needed for a mead receipe i want to try. i have made only three previous 5 gal. batches 2 O.B. and 1 tupelo. I am new to this site and i am using 'the complete mead maker' by ken schramm as a guide. The next batch I want to make is a Medium show Mead but I only want to make 2 1/2 gal. I am using 7 lbs. of apple honey. The receipe calls for one liter starter of Lalvin d-47 yeast. I assume this would be cut in half for the batch size I want to make? My question is how much yeast to use to make the starter? My previous batches have been pretty cut and dry on yeast amounts. This is my 1st attempt at a yeast starter. Please help.???

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Hi Keith and Welcome To The GotMead? World!

Unless you have a really high starting gravity (1.140+), I wouldn't bother with a starter. When properly re-hydrated with GoFerm, and appropriate nutrient additions later, most of the Lalvin yeasts will easily handle gravities to 1.130 and beyond with no starter.

Try a forum search on "yeast rehydration" with "PBakulic" as the author and you'll find all kinds of great info on proper care and feeding of your yeast.

:cheers:
Wade

Keith Bennett

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 25, 2009
Sanborn, IA.
Thanks

Thank you for the direction and help. I hope it turns out well. Look forward to future visits and to learn more from this site and knowledgeable people such as yourself.:)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns