• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

need help reducing a recipe to 1 gallon

Barrel Char Wood Products

lutinplunder

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 7, 2009
I wanna try this recipe to see if i'll like it I think it's one of Wayneb's

Here's what you need to get started:
12 lbs (1 gallon) of "fruit" varietal honey - these days I prefer to use
Blackberry or Orange Blossom, but back when I created the original
recipe I used readily available clover.
3 lbs "wildflower" honey - added originally to enhance the flavor profile;
these days with good varietal honey you could substitute more of the
fruit honey, or whatever you choose -
allow yourself to be creative!
3-4 Valencia oranges - juice these to get 2 cups of fresh squeezed OJ, also
use a peeler to get the "zest," the outer skin, off of each. Throw away
the white pith.
1/2 gal fresh or frozen apple juice or apple cider - IMPORTANT: Only use
NO PRESERVATIVES ADDED juice. Pasteurized is OK, but NO sorbate or
benzoate!
2 bags Celestial Seasonings "Morning Thunder" tea
2 long sticks cinnamon - use the true, Ceylon cinnamon, if you can get it.
10 corns allspice
2 whole cloves
12 juniper berries
1 whole nutmeg
1 packet Red Star Montrachet Wine Yeast
Fermaid-K yeast nutrient (9.5 g, about 2-1/2 tsp)
Diammonium Phosphate (9.5 g, about 2-1/2 tsp)
Go_Ferm yeast rehydration energizer (6.25 g, about 2-1/2 tsp)
1/2 TBS bentonite, rehydrated in 1 cup boiling water, left to stand covered
for 24 hrs.

my guesses would be...

2 1/2# of "fruit" varietal honey - these days I prefer to use Blackberry or Orange Blossom, but back when I created the original recipe I used readily available clover.
1/2# "wildflower" honey - added originally to enhance the flavor profile; these days with good varietal honey you could substitute more of the fruit honey, or whatever you choose - allow yourself to be creative!
2 Valencia oranges - juice these to get 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed OJ, also use a peeler to get the "zest," the outer skin, off of each. Throw away the white pith.
12 ounces fresh or frozen apple juice or apple cider - IMPORTANT: Only use NO PRESERVATIVES ADDED juice. Pasteurized is OK, but NO sorbate or benzoate!
1 bags Celestial Seasonings "Morning Thunder" tea
1/2 long stick cinnamon - use the true, Ceylon cinnamon, if you can get it.
2 corns allspice
1 whole cloves
2 juniper berries
1/5 whole nutmeg
1 packet Red Star Montrachet Wine Yeast

I've never used nutrients/energizers so not really sure what to reduce them to.

This will be my second mead ever, currently got a gallon of JAOM I started 4/10/09. Figured I'd make a bunch of gallons to try spaced out so I continuously have something to drink, and so stop making my wife think I'm crazy by staring at the JAOM bubble.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Well.... since it is my recipe, let me make a couple of suggestions. ;D

The simplest thing to do is to divide all ingredient measures by 5. That'll get you in the ballpark. Where things don't divide by 5 evenly, add a little more on the honey/juice side, and use a little less on the spice/tea side.

So, adjust your recipe thusly:
Use only one Valencia orange. Use only 1/2 of the skin of that orange to zest (the zest would be considered more of a spice than anything else).

Make the tea separately from one bag of Morning Thunder. Use half of that for the liquid that goes into your must, and drink the other half!

Round up the amounts of Fermaid and DAP, so that you are using a total of 2 g each.

Otherwise, you should be good to go.

Only one other thing to add -- you'll be disappointed that you only made one gallon! ;)

ndbrewlady

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2008
Burlington, ND
My hubby walks into the closet and tells me to quit staring at them. I keep trying to explain I am counting burps, but he just thinks I am going crazy. ;D

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Should I be worried or excited that my wife has stopped commenting on the strangeness of it all? On the plus side we brought a bottle of mead to one of her teacher get-togethers and she gave someone a 10-minute primer/lecture on mead and meadmaking after he made a crack about broadswords.

huntfishtrap

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2009
Aurora, Nebraska
and she gave someone a 10-minute primer/lecture on mead and meadmaking after he made a crack about broadswords.

Dude, I think you've won! She's under your power, now it's time for phase two. Here's what you need, a whole bunch of pillows, some osterich feather fans, and a bowl of fruit.....

lutinplunder

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 7, 2009
Help Wayneb

I need some clarification about step

11) Age in secondary for at least 3 months after clearing. Sulfite, if you
feel so inclined.

does this mean sulfite when you rack or when it clears? Any damage if you add the sulfites when your rack?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I generally sulfite prior to racking in order to benefit from the anti-oxidative properties of the sulfite during racking. YMMV.

Oskaar

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Coming in late on this one -- there's a simple psychological explanation of the hypnotic effect of carboys full of fermenting mead. Lava lamps! ;D

Carboys are just a fermentable version of lava lamps. Add that, with the rhythmic clicking of an air lock, and you've got a powerful combo.

Now if Miriam K was lurking on this thread, I could add a few more words on mead dybuks . . . ;D ;D ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns