• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ken Schramm's Heart of Darkness - Commercial Release Countdown

Barrel Char Wood Products

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
The first commercial release of Ken Schramm's Heart of Darkness is bottled and is expected to be released in just over a week.

Only 110 bottles were produced of this first edition release. Each bottle is signed and numbered by Ken, and dipped in wax.

You can purchase them online at www.winebuys.com.
They will ship to: AK, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, LA, MI, MN, MO, NE, NH, NV, NY, NC, ND, OH, SC, TX, VA, WA, WV, WY

WARNING: Only 110 bottles of this mead were produced this year. It took up the majority of Ken's crop. For this reason, bottles are not cheap. Winebuys is currently listing them for $91 for a 375ml.

DESCRIPTION: Meadmaker Ken Schramm crafted the Heart of Darkness exclusively from his home grown fruit. This mead represents a true labor of love. Hand-picked and hand pitted morello cherries were fermented with black currants, red raspberries and Michigan honey from Larry Yates Sawmill Lake Apiaries. Virtually all of a seasons fruit production was used in this inaugural batch, limiting its production to a small number of individually signed and numbered bottles. The Heart of Darkness was free run, un-fined and unfiltered, yielding a deep, intense character. It pairs beautifully with grilled meats, bleu cheese, and dark chocolate. We appreciate your patronage, and hope you enjoy this bottle.

Cheers,

BrewinNColorado

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 4, 2008
Boulder County, Colorado
Brad, thanks for the info!

For everyone else... I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Ken at MCI and was fortunate enough to be able to try a glass of his mead (though I was not worthy to be in his presence). I believe this is the one that I tried, and I have to say that it was the best mead that I have ever tasted. Ken is truly a great person at heart and a phenomenal mead maker. The mead had such a dark color that it actually stained the glass and no words can explain the flavour. It is definately a drink of the gods.

I highly recommend that you buy a bottle, it is well worth every drop.

`Michael`

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Thanks for those kind words Michael. We feel truly blessed to be able to work with Ken and release his meads under our label.

Here are some pictures of the label. The front label will be signed and numbered in that large white space. The outside edges will be printed with gold foil.

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
Your comments are much appreciated, Michael, and please understand that the world would be a lot better place if we all learned that everyone is worthy to be in anyone else's presence. We're all just a bunch of people trying to get by and have some fun along the way. I'm really happy you liked the mead, and I hope it gave you a few moments of genuine, unfettered happiness and pleasure. That is what mead is for, and frankly, my happiness comes from you liking it.

I am sorry that the tariff is so stiff, but Brad and I discussed what it would take to separate me from an entire year of the mead I so love sharing with my friends, family and those who show up to hear me talk at places around the country. I used to say that, "the house rules are in effect: if you want some HoD, just come over to my house, and you can drink as much as you want (safely!)," but I can't even say that anymore, as the previous batches are all but gone, and last year's production is now in bottles at B. Nektar. Due to the production drop of my fruit this year, there won't be a commercial batch this season. It'll be a while before the HoD is unreservedly available to those I love.

Here's hoping those who buy it, love it. I think it's pretty good.

Ken

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Far be it from me to deny a man the right to an honest profit from his labor, Ken! It's just that this humble schoolteacher's budget just doesn't have room for some of the finer things in life, alas!

I have to settle for some of the slightly-less-than-finer things in life. :)

cam07ds

Mazer Cup International Staff
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2008
Parker, CO
Brad, thanks for the info!

For everyone else... I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Ken at MCI and was fortunate enough to be able to try a glass of his mead (though I was not worthy to be in his presence). I believe this is the one that I tried, and I have to say that it was the best mead that I have ever tasted. Ken is truly a great person at heart and a phenomenal mead maker. The mead had such a dark color that it actually stained the glass and no words can explain the flavour. It is definately a drink of the gods.

I highly recommend that you buy a bottle, it is well worth every drop.

`Michael`

I was also fortunate enough to meet Ken at MCI and taste this fantastic mead. Even if it is not from this first commercial batch. I just ordered my bottle. The only problem is I dont know if i will ever be able to drink it.

Have a great day every one.
Steve

Speedy

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Ken while you may call yourself - Just some guy who wrote a book - to me and many of us you are a 'hero' of sorts. I look forward to the day that I can meet you and chat about mead.

You have started me down a hobby that has brought joy and let me know that even though I thought I had patience, mead is a whole different game.

Thank you and I hope that I can get a bottle of the HoD.

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
The day draws closer. Yesterday the bottles were dipped in wax and sealed with the B. Nektar bee. I've attached some photos.

The labels are supposed to be here no later than Friday.

Thanks to those that have already ordered or reserved your bottles.

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
The Heart of Darkness is Here!!

The day has finally come. The labels were delivered yesterday. They look fantastic! As they should for a mead of this quality. The gold foil is much nicer than we ever expected. Ken is coming out to the meadery to sign and number them before the tasting this evening. He's going to stick around for a while tonight. Anyone lucky enough to live close to the meadery should definitely stop by. I think we're going to open one up!

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Thanks. We wanted everything about the packaging to be worthy of what is inside. We had a custom die made for the gold foil label. The cork is the finest grade Flor cork. We had a custom wax seal with our bee logo made. And as you pointed out, Ken used a gold paint pen to individually sign and number each one.

There's still about 90 bottles left, so you have a little time. :)

cam07ds

Mazer Cup International Staff
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2008
Parker, CO
Mine should be here Thursday but I have but one question. Should I drink it or age it...? I did buy a couple of bottles of the Buckwheat so maybe I can just drink that and hide the other.

Steve

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns