• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

RE-rack and slow fermentation problem?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Johanneskai

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2009
Eugene, Oregon
Please look at my Wildflower Lavender Mead Recipe.

I re-racked this mead to remove the flowers and the mead fermentation has slowed way down. I mean way down to one blub per 10 seconds. Is this right or ok? This is a one gallon mead with 4 lbs of Honey. How do I get the fermentation back up to speed?

Last edited:

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
If you will post such questions in the thread with the recipe, or will put a link to the recipe, or will put the critical info in the current thread it will save some time and effort for the folks attempting to help.

What was you starting gravity and what is the current gravity and which yeast are you using?

Johanneskai

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2009
Eugene, Oregon
SG of Lavender Mead

First Off,
Sorry, I am new to this and am trying hard to provide accurate and easy to follow information.

I have linked my recipe to the prior email. That should help.

The SG was around 1.150, I believe. I used the Mead Calculator, because I did not know that I needed to take SG, but now I know.

Please remember I am still learning how to make mead and might not have all of my ducks in a row.

I do appreciate the advice.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Usually I put batches in progress in the Brewlog section. Then you can reply to your own thread with updates, ask questions, etc all in one place. This way the whole discussion takes place together, and we can all easily read the original recipe and everything that has taken place in the history of that batch. If you're worried about visibility for your questions, don't. Most of the regular folks on the board will read pretty much all new posts so we'll find yours too.

Racking displaces some CO2 from solution so you might see a dropoff in bubble rates. But bubble rates are not indicative of much. If you can measure the current SG, that will tell us what we need to know.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
So I moved everything to the brewlog. I hope this helps. Please refer to the brewlog.
Sorry I have been posting to the wrong place.

No worries, lots of stuff in the recipe section ends up being brewlogs by the end. The main idea is to keep it all in one place to minimize searching.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns