• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Joe is my hero, again

Barrel Char Wood Products

snakeater

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2009
After a very successfull batch of ancient orange. I call it agent orange...... I have decided to try the grape mead recipe he has posted. I however have one question. When multiplying this recipe for a 6 gallon batch, what is the amount of honey/ grape juice added initally and in the secondary? If I am reading correctly in calls for 2lbs and 64 oz per gallon in initial fermentation and then more to be added racking. Is this in addition to the amounts above or subtracted from them in the fermentation? Sorry if this is a stupid question I just want a little clarity before getting this underway.

This is a great website by the way, I have been making mead for a few years now and never knew it existed until I found it in a search for mead recipes. Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can give. Snakeater

buzzerj

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
San Jose CA
Welcome Snakeater. What a wonderful nickname you have there.

The 2 lbs. honey and 64 fl oz. grape juice (x 6) is what you put in your primary fermenter. After it ferments completely out then add sulfite and sorbate to stop fermentation and stabilze the mead. Then add juice and honey to sweeten to your taste. Joe suggested 4 fl. oz. and 4 oz. (x 6) for semisweet and 6 fl oz. and 6 oz. (x 6) for a mid sweet result. So in answer to your question, these additions are in addition to the quantity of honey and juice you need to start with. Think of them as additions. They are definitely not subtractions.

Don't worry, it's not a dumb question if it helps you get the recipe right.

Buzzer

snakeater

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2009
that solves it thanks. When I was in the Army "snakeater" was a derogatory term used to describe Special Forces soldiers (me). It used to irritate me a little, until I thought about it and realized that I actually do like snake meat! So there you go........

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns