• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Elderberry Pickin' Fool

Barrel Char Wood Products

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Yes that's me.

For the last couple of months, whenever I can break away I've been hitting some local wild elderberry patches. They do grow wild here in Florida, and even in the burbs here near the Fusel Shack, I can find a number areas with them growing. I've even taken some cuttings and planted them in my yard.

So far, the total harvest from my efforts has been about 20 pounds, which should be enough for a couple of different batches including the second part of the Old Blackie comparison. However, it ain't been easy. It is usually 90-95F, and the humidity is 75-90% - basically it's like picking fruit in a steam bath. If that wasn't enough, I'm dodging fire ants and some tropical spiders that are almost the size of blue crabs (literally 2-3 inch bodies) that even if not poisonous, their bite can take a chunk of meat big enough to require stitches. We also have enough mosquitoes swarming to leave you a pint of blood short by they time you're done, and of course, you better keep an eye out for gators.

Then there's the time cleaning and sorting. All together I've spent 20+ hours to get these berries. When you factor in the cost of my time, these are easily the most expensive berries on the face of the planet.

They better make some damned fine mead or I'm gonna be pissed! :mad:

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Gotta suffer for you art. And dude, sounds like your owed some great mead...

I've been picking gallons of Michigan Fall raspberries to freeze and brew with later, under much nicer conditions than you've been dealing with...

Sasper

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 19, 2009
I'd rather wrestle an alligator than take a 4 inch thick daggered blackberry bramble in the face, which has happened to me about 4 times so far trying to get berry's. Not to mention looking like a failed suicide attempt. Agreed on the big ass spiders though haha we've got some serious sons of bitches in Ohio.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Well after one taste the Big Old Blackie batch, I'm back out picking elderberries again. I'm convinced they're worth it! ;D

There is one really great thing about elderberries in FL - they stay in season for almost 6 months here. Some of them keep blooming all winter, so you can always find some elder flowers, and the first wave of berries ripened about 2 weeks ago, and they will keep coming in waves until November. Yes, you've got to go fight Mother nature to get them, but they keep coming and coming.

The bushes I planted in my yard are growing like the weeds they are, and blooming quite a bit, but no berries so far. I hope that changes.

Jord

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 30, 2009
Bowmanville, Ontario
Glad to hear the elderberries worked out for you. My neighbour gave me a couple of bottles of elderberry wine that he had made and they were horrible! Incredibly bitter and undrinkable in my opinion.....of course he didn't mention when it was made and I opened them within weeks of being given them. For all I know they could've only been a couple of months old. I kind of wish I had kept the second bottle and let it age for a year to see the difference.

Alas this was before I started making mead and realizing what a difference age can make.....though I was smart enough to marry an older woman. 8)

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
FWIW, proper elderberry wines (and melomels) are delicious! But they do require aging to show their full potential, since you will get lots of fruit tannins along with all the beautiful anthocyanins and flavor compounds.

I sure wish that I lived in a part of the country where elderberries were easily available! I love what a combo of elderberries and black currants does in a melomel... ;)

Angelic Alchemist

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
www.Angelic-Alchemy.com
I have a bag of dried elderberries at my condo, and it smells remarkably like feet. Is that normal?

And yes, misadventures in harvesting are always good for story-telling. I was picking splinters out of my hands for a week after the last blackberry harvest, and Kerry says he'll always remember me standing on his shoulders to pick fruit from the high branches every time he drinks my loquat wine.

Sure, if your time has a high cash value then picking fruit might be cost-prohibitive. But then again, a little exercise and sunshine is good for all of us.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
They do have a somewhat earthy smell, though I don't think the ones I have stink. When fermented the aroma is nice, but isn't in-your-face-fruity like raspberry. I want to try a pure elderberry batch this year, though I'm finding it hard to resist making more Big Old Blackie (or maybe someone's fancy, award-winning, Filleul de la Nuit recipe :notworthy: - it's calling me)

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
They do have a somewhat earthy smell, though I don't think the ones I have stink. When fermented the aroma is nice, but isn't in-your-face-fruity like raspberry. I want to try a pure elderberry batch this year, though I'm finding it hard to resist making more Big Old Blackie (or maybe someone's fancy, award-winning, Filleul de la Nuit recipe :notworthy: - it's calling me)

That recipe's calling to me too, just waiting for some of the other fruit in it to be in season. I have NO idea where I'm going to get the elderberries though, I'm way too far north for any of my normal suppliers to have them, and it's not the kinda thing I'll find in 2kilo bags at the grocery store. Could get interesting trying to get them!

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Me? I still can't work out why it is that elderberry is such an excellent winemaking ingredient, because if you pick the fruit and extract the juice, it has a very uninteresting "generic" berry fruit flavour. Not distinctive like blackcurrant or raspberry etc.

Yet it's a brilliant ingredient that does wonders in wines, plenty of colour, plenty of tannins, etc etc etc.....

Weird!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
How much difference is there between using fresh elderberries (which I will likely never see) and dried? My not as local LHBS has dried elderberries and I bought some because I was there and I've seen a few recipes that use them...

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
The difference between fresh and dried elderberries is analogous to the difference between fresh grapes and dried grapes (i.e. raisins, or sultanas if you happen to be an Aussie). They share some similar flavor elements, but the aromatics are much attenuated in the dried fruit, and other ingredients have oxidized and thus taste entirely different. I've made some meads with dried elderberries in the distant past, and the results have most of the color that I get from the fresh fruit, but very little similarity in flavor.

jayich

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2009
Anchorage, AK
canned elderberry puree

After reading here about elderberries, I want to try some. My LHBS sells Oregon elderberry puree. Can anyone recommend this as a substitution for fresh berries? We also have elderberries which grow wild here in AK - like in my yard- but I think they may be different than the domestic version grown in the lower 48. The plants and berries have a rather obnoxious smell and I don't think the berries would be very good for melomel making- but I will look into it further and ask around.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns