• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

how to tell when lag phase is over

Barrel Char Wood Products

beekind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
Vermont
hey everybody. i am mighty perplexed about the lag phase. the big question is: how can i tell when the lag phase is over and that i need to pitch my fermaid k/dap mix?

what i've been doing is rehydrating the yeast with go-ferm, then pitching when the temps of the must and yeast are close to the same temp (within 10F). then, generally, i go to bed (most my mead making is in the evening). when i wake up, i assume that i am post lag phase, so i through in the fermaid k/dap mix. sometimes there is obvious airlock activity-but always pretty dern slow.

is this a poor system? is it better to pitch the mix as soon as the lag phase is over? what are the physical signs of lag phase being over (airlock activity and/or gravity changes, etc.)?

thanks for any help,
dave

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Rather than airlock activity, I watch for small bubbles of CO2 being released from the liquid surface. If you look carefully and listen carefully, you can see the bubbles popping and you can hear a faint "fizz" sound.

BTW - I don't do primary fermentations under airlock until after the 1/2 sugar break. The yeast need O2 early on, so I find that covering my fermenter with a sanitized towel (or a loose bucket lid) to keep out airborne nasties, is as effective as a tight cover with a lock at preventing spoilage, and it both gives my yeast a little more O2 and makes inspection, stirring, etc. that much easier.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I don't have the courage to do that, Wayne...

/Picturing a cat with no tail investigating that buzzing sound, and SPLASH!

beekind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
Vermont
thanks, for the answers. that's pretty much what i've been thinking-that it's the point when the yeasts get comfortable in their new surroundings and get to work.

how 'bout for the second question: should i be pitching the fermaid k/dap mix as soon as i see that they are working, or is my lazy man style okay? does a couple of hours make much of a difference?

wayne, thanks for your advice about open(ish) fermentation. i've only done that a couple of times, with great results. but living in washington state, the walls seem to breed fruit flys and that makes me nervous (they can seem to get everywhere). basically, i do that when i'm feeling a bit more bold.

-dave

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I don't think a few hours are going to make a huge difference. Try to catch it as best you can, but don't rework your life around it.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I don't think a few hours are going to make a huge difference. Try to catch it as best you can, but don't rework your life around it.

Heresy, I say! Heresy!

It is essential to mark to end of lag phase. One must stay up all night if necessary watching the fermenter and waiting for it to give it's first little burp. How can one expect to make great mead without sacrifice and commitment! LOL. :rolleyes:

beekind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
Vermont
well, i have an eighteen month old, and have become quite accustomed to getting by on about four hours of sleep a night. i'm sure i can do fine with a little less :eek:. there goes the coffee budget.

i am so glad y'all approve of my laziness. if you said (seriously) that i needed to pitch the nutrients right at the end of the lag phase, i was going to have to tell the wife that i need to get one of those 47 gallon fermenters so i could really make it worthwhile to stay up all night. (wait...maybe i should tell her that, anyway.)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns