• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Oof...

Barrel Char Wood Products

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I've been collecting bottles but putting off washing/delabeling them. Tonight's the night. Filled my 45 bottle tree and ain't done yet.

That's what I get for procrastinating, I guess, and in the end I've got a lot of bottles ready to go--so I really shouldn't complain.

:)

(it took almost 3 hours)

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
I've been collecting bottles but putting off washing/delabeling them. Tonight's the night. Filled my 45 bottle tree and ain't done yet.

That's what I get for procrastinating, I guess, and in the end I've got a lot of bottles ready to go--so I really shouldn't complain.

(it took almost 3 hours)

Did you use "Goo Gone"? It's great at getting the last of the stuck glue off the bottles.

socpsy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 23, 2009
NW Arkansas
www.socpsy.com
Did you use "Goo Gone"? It's great at getting the last of the stuck glue off the bottles.

My wife suggested that I use that for label glue. She'll be glad to hear that it work well.

I've also found that Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work well on some of the less sticky label glues (mostly on beer bottles)
thumbs.gif

Last edited:

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well I've found that it depends on who/where the original wine was bottled..... as to what kind of glue was used on the original label.

Some of the Australian wine bottles have been a complete PITA as they tend to have used a "self adhesive" type printed label that's been put on with a machine and is a complete SOB to get the glue off.

Which meant that I had to find something........ and has led me to either use "Preptone" (a solvent used by the car valeting industry - specifically for removing the glue residues from car paint work - both solvent based paint and water based.... oh and no, I don't know what the brand would be in the US....) or I use "brake cleaner" for cleaning car brake components without leaving any kind of greasy residue on brake pads, shoes, discs, drums or calibers - the only thing being that it has to be the one that contains trichlorethane, because the "environmentally friendly" one (no trich!) doesn't do the job as well and there is sometimes a little glue residue left..... This is done before the bottle is washed internally. Once it's done inside and out, I put them in the dish washer. Then use a sulphite/citric acid solution to sanitise them internally when I'm ready to bottle.

As for the glue I use for labels, either a stationary store "glue stick", wallpaper paste or even flour and water (though flour and water takes a long time to dry out and the label can show signs of mould after a while.....)

Oh, and if you can find one then it's worth finding out the price of bottles from them (if you use enough, or can split the cost with someone else). I had to pick up a "load" recently, which was 26 pallets of champagne bottles (1008 per pallet), but asked the guy about normal bordeaux type bottles. He said that I could get 1338 bottles per pallet of the bordeaux type (in green glass) for £260 per pallet (about 432$US) which worked out at 19 pence or about 30 cents per bottle (I'd have sorted the transport myself). Plus the dreaded VAT/purchase tax. That'd be about half of the price charged by the home brew shops.

I know it sounds a lot, but if you worked out how many bottles you wash and de-label per hour, it's cheap. Of course, it's dependant on whether you use enough bottles and or whether you have someone to split the cost with........

I'm thinking about this for next year when another forum I visit has it's annual "grapefest".

regards

fatbloke

p.s. Oh and I've also found that cellulose paint thinners works for the glue problem as well (the difficult to remove glue, that is). Like anything, these solvents need to be used in a well ventilated area, otherwise you get "off your face" on the vapours!

socpsy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 23, 2009
NW Arkansas
www.socpsy.com
Some of the Australian wine bottles have been a complete PITA as they tend to have used a "self adhesive" type printed label that's been put on with a machine and is a complete SOB to get the glue off.

rolling2.gif
I know what you mean! I've had some of those bottles that I wanted to hurl against a brick wall!. :angryfire:

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
No, Al, I haven't used goo gone, primarily because there are really so few bottles that need it--I've found there are four basic categories of label removal hell, and it has to do with the glue and the paper:

1. Some labels--glossy, metallic, whatever--just slide right off with a bit of hot soapy water, leaving nothing behind. Bless those vintners and brewers.
  2. Some labels soak up the water well, but the glue's stubborn, and it takes a bit of scrubbing to get them off.
  3. Some labels have glossy or metallic labels, and while the glue releases in the hot water, it takes a while for it to seep in under the label to the center. Those need a bit of help.
  4. On the deepest ring of label hell reside the labels that, as Fatbloke described, have sticky glue that loves to just ball up in the hot soapy water, and gum up the scrubber. They need a solvent of some kind to remove.

Most of them aren't hard per se, but it takes time to soak and then get the label off. And really, I'm just whining. I'm grateful to my friends for saving bottles for me because that 25ish gallons of mead in my dark cupboard has got to go somewhere eventually. I did 45 mostly wine bottles last night (a few beer bottles) and have 24 wine bottles to do this morning. And I'm racking this weekend too! Whoowhee! It's a chore to do alone, but fun, too and as a side benefit my kitchen floor gets really clean between maid visits.

(and as an aside, I have to go down and use some yeast to make my breakfast--soudrdough waffles. Wish y'all were here to share)

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Extended soaking in PBW & the like has always worked for me. The tough ones still need a bit of scrubbing, but I just leave them soak for longer and it gets easier.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Haven't tried that. Some of the bottles friends have saved for me are screw-tops. Can you cork screw tops if the neck is straight?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Haven't tried that. Some of the bottles friends have saved for me are screw-tops. Can you cork screw tops if the neck is straight?
yes, but you might need to check/compare the internal diameter to make sure that the corks you have fit ok.

Personally I don't, as IMO, a screwtop with a cork just looks "scruffy"

so I just chuck the screw tops in the recycling at the moment......

Now if the £££ improves against the €€€, then a visit to Brouwland in Belgium would be on the cards as they stock a screw cap crimper for about €350 - plus the cost of caps would come down some and I could get a couple of different sizes......

regards

fatbloke

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
It looks like it is the same ID, so I think I'll play around with it some in case I need another bottle I don't plan to give away.

And I hate the bottles that have the label silkscreened on. Man, that stuff is fused to the glass!

All done with the bottlewashing. Now for the racking, and I think I'm gonna bottle one of the meads, the JAO that I dickered with is ready, I think, and it'll free up a 3 gallon carboy if I bottle it--since I have all those clean bottles.

Heh heh heh

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
That's for sure!

So I'm done for the day--11 bottles bottled, and everything else is all racked and tucked away in the darkness. A lot o' work for one person. I can't wait for my daughter to get back from her stint at Yellowstone so I can get her to help me!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I've been putting off bottling about 3 gallons of various stuff for weeks now. I hate cleaning bottles! My wife won't help either, she just likes helping empty the bottles after they are filled. :rolleyes:

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
You know you're hard up when you can't even trade some wifely bottle washing labor for the finished mead!

I wish I had a kid that I could pay to do it, but I don't, alas!

But at least as of now I don't have any dirty bottles hanging over my head.

I think. Who knows what's in the garage.

Angelic Alchemist

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
www.Angelic-Alchemy.com
White gas (aka coleman gas, naptha) takes off any glue no matter how stuborn, if you're brave enough to handle the stuff in proximity to something you'll be drinking out of later. I usually soak mine in hot water and scrape them with a straight razor.

We have a similar problem at my buddy's house with bottles piling up. He has friends who drink quite a bit. Labor of love, I suppose.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Man, guess what I tripped over in a corner of my garage this afternoon?

Yeah, a bag o' bottles.

I knew it was too good to be true that I'd got them all. :hmh:

And would someone tell me why this smiley is called "downtown?"
:downtown:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns