• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

blueberry melomel help

Barrel Char Wood Products

TipsyDragon

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 14, 2009
ok i plan on making a blueberry melomel. i have a 3lb can of pureed blueberries. since they are canned I'm not worried about pasteurizing them. what i am worried about is how to add them to the must. i want to use a 6.5 gallon glass carboy but i cant quite figure out how to get the berries in without causing a big mess.

i am going to put the berries in a grain bag to hold the solid bits. but then trying to squese that bag into the carboy would be a disaster. i could use a bottling cane to push the bag part way into the carboy leaving some sticking out the top. then use a funnel to pour the berries into the bag. next tie off the bag and let it fall rest of the way in. then once i have racked to a secondary use a coat hanger to hook the drawstring on the bag and pull it back out.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Welcome TipsyDragon!

One option to consider would be just to pour the fruit in without worrying about a bag. When you rack, you can leave the fruit pulp and residue behind.

If you use a plastic bucket for primary fermentation, this too makes it a very simple process, and you can put the bag in or out as you like.

If you do want to use fruit in a bag inside a glass carboy, it is more of a pain, but putting the bag in and then pouring the fruit into it with a funnel will work. To make like simpler, you can also use a little piece of fishing line tied to the bag, and coming out of the carboy to make pulling the bag out easier and eliminate the need for coat hangers. If you plan to leave the fruit in until you rack, it beg the question why you want in in a bag.

Medsen

TipsyDragon

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 14, 2009
If you plan to leave the fruit in until you rack, it beg the question why you want in in a bag.

Medsen

the bag will make it easier to get the solid bits out. or at least thats the theory. just pull the bag out and the solid bits go with it then you just have to clean out the yeast.

Matrix4b

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2008
Denver Colorado
I agree, It isn't really all that hard to clean out. Ofcourse my preferred method is to blenderize and then run through a screen, Then use some pectin acid on the resulting pulp and blenderize and screen again. Using just the Juice in my must. I also put the blueberry juice in the secondary not the primary so there is much less yeast active to eat up the sugars and rip apart the flavors.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
The puree, if it is like I am using, will go right through even a fine mesh steeping bag so you might as well just pour it into the must and then rack off of the lees later.

I currently am trying using puree in the primary and secondary fermentations. If you are going to only do one or the other, I would recommend putting the puree in the secondary to retain the flavor.

Matrix4b

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2008
Denver Colorado
The puree, if it is like I am using, will go right through even a fine mesh steeping bag so you might as well just pour it into the must and then rack off of the lees later.

I currently am trying using puree in the primary and secondary fermentations. If you are going to only do one or the other, I would recommend putting the puree in the secondary to retain the flavor.

I agree, If the pruree is that thin you might as well just put it in the secondary strait and rack off the lees when it settles a bit. Ofcourse, to make things smoother you can hit up the puree ahead of time with the pectic enzime and use a blender to mix in the pectin enzyme. Let it sit for about an hour after mixing it and then pour into your carboy with a funnel to prevent spillage.

That is what I plan on doing next time I do a blueberry. I am running low on my blueberry now so I think I might do one next. It was very popular. Hmm, I may just tweek it with some cherries or strawberries. Just a bit. Or do a blueberry with a touch of vanilla. Ideas, Ideas.

TipsyDragon

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 14, 2009
update. I've decided to hold off on adding the blueberries till secondary fermentation. i mixed up the must and added the yeast yesterday and today we have fermentation. I'm probably going to just dump the berries in the secondary carboy with some pectic enzyme then rack onto that.

thanks for the replies.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns