• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Whiskey at the South Pole

Barrel Char Wood Products

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Two cases of scotch left by Ernest Shackleton a hundred years ago.

This spit of black volcanic rock that juts out along the coast of Antarctica is an inhospitable place. Temperatures drop below -50 Fahrenheit and high winds cause blinding snowstorms. The only neighbors are a colony of penguins that squawk incessantly and leave a pungent scent in their wake.

But if you happen upon the small wooden hut that sits at Cape Royds and wriggle yourself underneath, you'll find a surprise stashed in the foot and a half of space beneath the floorboards. Tucked in the shadows and frozen to the ground are two cases of Scotch whisky left behind 100 years ago by Sir Ernest Shackleton after a failed attempt at the South Pole.
You can't help but love that.

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Must we go there? We Beer-ly got through the last pun thread.

Last edited:

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Yes, yes, Kee, we must...because here we have proof that if you keep things bottled up for 100 years you'll eventually blow your cork and whoowhee...then watch how snow will fly.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Water of life it is, and I'd ask y'all to raise a glass of it or whatever you have on hand in memory of my mother-in-law, who just passed on about an hour ago. Rest in Peace, Bev.

clink

It's been a hard couple of weeks...I need some self-medication about now.

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
Water of life it is, and I'd ask y'all to raise a glass of it or whatever you have on hand in memory of my mother-in-law, who just passed on about an hour ago. Rest in Peace, Bev.

clink

Sorry to hear, Jenn, Clink.....drink up you.

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

clink

You have my condolences. I'll keep both of you in my heart.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns