• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hello- My first post & batch

Barrel Char Wood Products

dave89

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 25, 2009
west of Boston
Hi all,
I have been lurking in these forums for a few weeks now and must say how impressed I am with the knowledge & Passion of the people who post here. This will clearly make my mead making journey easier, as I have learned alot from you guys allready.
So, I just made my first 2 batches today

1st Batch
JAO
Started bubble slowly after an hour

2nd batch
3lbs tupelo honey
½ lbs wild flower honey
1 stick cinnamon
1 tsp Fermax
½ tsp yeast energizer
Topped to 1 gallon with 365 organic apple juice (whole foods brand – no preservatives)
Pectic enzyme 18 Hrs before pitching yeast
Red Star pasture champagne yeast
About 1.152 SG

The JAO started bubbling almost right away. But my other batch seems like it is doing nothing at all. Admittedly it’s only been a few hours. Is the SG too high? Did I shock my yeast? Am I just too impatient?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Welcome!

1.152 is quite high, but a few hours is much to early to tell if things have started successfully or not. If you haven't, I would suggest aerating that batch to help the yeast grow during the initial stages.

Assuming you used baking yeast for the JAO, it will start quickly. Baking yeast is selected to start fast and hard (so the dough rises), but wine yeast is selected for other attributes. No surprise that it might start slower.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Pasteur Champagne, despite what the name might suggest, is not a yeast that likes a super high starting gravity. If it does get going for you (and you'll know in 12 to 18 hours), then lucky you! ;) However if not, then all is not lost. In the event that it doesn't start I'd suggest adding water to the must to bring the starting gravity down around 1.125-1.130. Then pitch another packet of rehydrated yeast and all should be well.

dave89

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 25, 2009
west of Boston
Thanks for the feed back every one!
1. I rehydrated the yeast in warm, but not hot water. For 15 minutes. Then tossed it in the must.
2. temp is about 76
3. I shook my jug for about 5 minuets or so too aerate it. I have to do that every day for the next few days’ right?

It looks like it is starting too bubble, Very slowly. I live in an apartment and don’t have a cool basement, nor can I turn off the heat as it has never been on. I live on the 3rd floor and I benefit from everyone else’s heat below me.
I guess I need to be more patient

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I'm glad it is starting to show signs of life. One way to get going faster is to rehydrate the yeast properly. If you use GoFerm it gives them a big boost in performance - both in the speed of the start, and also with alcohol tolerance for high gravity batches. Using this with water that is 100-105 F will give you the largest number of viable yeast when you pitch which shortens the lag phase.

You definitely need to aerate the must up to the 1/3 fermentation point. If you don't it will likely cause the yeast to stick having started at such a high gravity.

76F is higher than I like to ferment. It essentially will give you a batch that has a lot of higher alcohols (Fusels). These can give medicinal aroma and cause a burning in the back of the throat akin to rot-got whiskey. Starting at such a high gravity is also going to stress the yeast and cause higher volatile acid production (which can cause a sour/burning sensation in the back of the throat). My point with all of this is that you can expect this batch is going to come out pretty harsh, and you'll need to plan to age it for a good long while for it to mellow.

The good news is that you'll be able to enjoy the JAO while you wait.

Medsen

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns