• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Go-Ferm

Barrel Char Wood Products

Sabar

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 28, 2009
Loganton, Pa
I am getting ready to start my second traditional batch soon. I think I even found a recipe here I want to try from Oskaar.

I keep reading in these forums about Go-Ferm and adding it when the yeast is re-hydrated. Sounded like somthing to try so I started looking for it on wine making web sites. So far every site I have found, either they do not carry it or they are out of stock.

Is it normally so hard to get hold of?
Does anybody have any idea were to buy it?

I did see a post that mentioned Scotts Labs, and they have mention of it but no buy link. Just call them?

Thanks for the help
Sabar

Sabar

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 28, 2009
Loganton, Pa
Thanks Guys I dont know how I missed it at more wine but every place I looked seemed to be out of it.

Good news is just got done ordering

Go-Ferm
Fermaid-K
D47
and some oak cubes. time to start another batch

What can i say? I have an empty bucket, and the bride and I found a place that sells Italian carboys (5 Gall.) for $30 which is like $12 cheaper than anyplace else around here. So I have one of those also. Time to make more mead.

Sabar

sattlerjm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 1, 2009
Aurora, CO
Ironically having a similar problem myself. My LHBS had the D47 and Go-ferm but not the Fermaid K. Also need DAP. The LHBS had a chemical yeast nutrient with Urea (sp?) and DAP in it. Is that just as good?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Except that most of us think that the expression "food grade urea" is an oxymoron, it should work. Urea is a natural source of yeast assimilable nitrogen, just not one that I'm comfortable putting in any of my meads. If you accidentally added too much, how would you explain that off-taste to anyone sampling your mead? :eek:

epetkus

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Florida
Except that most of us think that the expression "food grade urea" is an oxymoron, it should work. Urea is a natural source of yeast assimilable nitrogen, just not one that I'm comfortable putting in any of my meads. If you accidentally added too much, how would you explain that off-taste to anyone sampling your mead? :eek:

ROFL !!

Well, the color will probably be right :eek:. Instead of nice crystal stemware, you simple use a medical sample cup!

OK, joking aside, not knowing any better and because it came from my "kit" supplier, I used the LD Carlson UREA-based nutrient in my first two batches. The first one still needs lots of aging due to utter ignorance on my part for lack of fermentation management, but the second batch has turned out very nice. So, decent mead can be made with this nutrient. However, I have switched over to Go-Ferm and Fermaid-K, and the consistency and quality have, in my opinion, improved.

Sattlerjm, if you plan to use Fermaid-K, why do you need DAP as well?

I had a similar problem finding Go-Ferm yesterday as well. I couldn't find anyone with the 100g in stock. I ended up buying two 10g packets just so I can start my next batch next week.

Eric

sattlerjm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 1, 2009
Aurora, CO
ROFL !!

Sattlerjm, if you plan to use Fermaid-K, why do you need DAP as well?

Eric

Um because that's what Oskaar's recipe calls for. Other than that I have no idea why. I understand the concept of adding nutrients but why both, you would have to ask Oskaar. :p

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
DAP is a more concentrated source of YAN. Fermaid K is formulated for wine musts, so honey musts need a little extra. You could add more Fermaid K if you wanted, but you don't need all that other stuff in the Fermaid as much as you need the nitrogen.

At least that's how I see it. :)

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
The LHBS had a chemical yeast nutrient with Urea (sp?) and DAP in it. Is that just as good?

Early on I used some nutrient with Urea, and I think it was okay. I say "I think" because some of my early batches didn't turn out so well due to a multitude of mismanagement errors on my part - especially temp control. Some turned out fine. I don't think the off flavors I encountered in those batches was attributable to the Urea, but I never ran any side by side testing.

I think it is probably okay to use it as long as the dosing is proper.

Hightest outlines some concerns with Urea on his site.

I don't use nutrients with urea anymore, but if I happened to have some, I wouldn't throw them out - I'd use them.

Medsen

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Um because that's what Oskaar's recipe calls for. Other than that I have no idea why. I understand the concept of adding nutrients but why both, you would have to ask Oskaar. :p

It can be helpful to read the narrative and comments Oskaar adds to his recipes, because often he explains why he feels this mead needs this or that at this or that stage. You'll find a lot of good info in Oskaar's recipes as listed in the Patronage section.

--

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns