• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How did you get interested in drinking / making mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Back in 1977 a college buddy of mine let me taste some "mead" that he and some other SCA'ers had made a couple of months before. Sweet spiced swill, but enough different from what everyone else was drinking at the time that it piqued my curiosity. There was absolutely nothing like it available commercially in the US at that time (with the exception of some "ethnic" meads that were not widely distributed), and I figured here is something that I could do, and probably do better than my half-crocked colleague! ;) So about a year and a half later I started my own first batch - and started at that time working on the recipe which eventually evolved into my Christmas Spice. Many years (and many meads) have been made (and drunk) by me since.

One thing led to another, and after all these years, now I find myself here! ;D

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I've long been interested in both the scientific and artistic aspects of brewing, but I don't like wine and don't like beer, so...

I could never have afforded it until recent years, anyway.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
My dad used to keep bee's and kept on about having a go.

One day I happened to find that there is a local home brew shop so I went and got a "starter kit" for home wine making and a book. Read up the recipe, bought some cheapo supermarket honey and bingo........

I've managed to make a few good meads, but also a lot of drain cleaner.....

regards

fatbloke

p.s. and yes, I'm constantly frustrated by the lack of reasonably priced, decent quality honey here in the UK, as well as the relative paucity of appropriate yeasts and adjuncts.......

keepitlow

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 27, 2009
NE US
I've long been interested in both the scientific and artistic aspects of brewing, but I don't like wine and don't like beer, so...

I could never have afforded it until recent years, anyway.

Why is that? Members have replied it is just a few $$ per bottle to make?

OK, the good mead is high priced, if your talking buying it.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada

Yes, but making batches of 5-6 gallons (the normal batch size) require a large investment, especially if you're experimenting. Even doing mainlly 1 gallon batches, I've easily sunk somewhere between 4-6 hundred dollars in just my first 6 months of mead making.

keepitlow

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 27, 2009
NE US
Yes, but making batches of 5-6 gallons (the normal batch size) require a large investment, especially if you're experimenting. Even doing mainlly 1 gallon batches, I've easily sunk somewhere between 4-6 hundred dollars in just my first 6 months of mead making.

Ahh, I see. Thanks.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I read about it in a book. Then I looked for it around me but I couldn't find any in stores, so I decided to make my own. Now I've mostly moved onto cider and melomels though.

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Read about it in a lot of books, and had talked about it for years before one of my friends sat me down and forced me to watch him make it. Only then did I realize how "easy" it was and started filling my basement with carboys... ;-)

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA

Not just the ingredients, but the equipment. I've spent more so far on toys than I have on the ingredients, although that is changing.

Well, maybe not. There are still a lot of things that I want to buy for myself. :rolleyes:

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I first had some at an outdoor wine festival on Vancouver Island, it was a light coloured spiced mead, and it was pretty terrible - way too much ginger. But, I'd heard of mead (vikings), and was able to taste something interesting behind the spices. I then had a glass of black mead (black currant melomel), and while it was too sweet for me, again I could taste that same something interesting behind the berries.

After searching endlessly to find some mead at liqour stores (and not finding any) I decided to make some, and did some research.

I originally had planned to make only 1 or 2 gallons, but once I stumbled upon this website and saw the possibilities...

Now I'm definitely hooked, and will probably never stop fermenting things.:)

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Barkshack Ginger Mead recipe from Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing" is all I gotta say...
which, to me, would be a little confusing........

because I've tried to make this a couple of times and it's always turned out "thin" or lacking in body, and not tasting very good at all, even after 12 to 18 months ageing.....

I've yet to work out what it is that he does, that I'm missing.......

Hey ho!

crowquill

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 13, 2008
Syracuse NY
A friend made mead and was generous about sharing it. He kept telling me how easy it was to get started and I finally caved in and tried it. Now I'm obsessed....

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
I was working my way through college as a campus security guard, doing rounds in an abandoned building and came across a copy of an 1880's book, The Whitehouse Cookbook, a collection of recipes used in the Whitehouse at that time. Included were recipes for alcoholic beverages, including mead. I tried it, was intriqued, researched the 'net and came across the Mead Lovers Digest, have been involved ever since.

DaleP

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 30, 2008
Webster Groves, Mo
Twas the story Beowolf (sp?) and a copy of Mother Earth News back in the late 70's that sparked my interest. That with my family logging in the midwest and cutting down a few bee trees every year which gave me plenty of raw material, it was only natural to make it.

STLBrewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Mine was from trying some of DaleP's more recent (read that the past two years) batches. Once he told me how easy it was and what his process was, I too, was hooked!

Sasper

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 19, 2009
Interest in my Norwegian ancestry. I found an easy recipe that wasn't very scientific and brewed it with bread yeast, and hid it in a closet. That was my senior year of High school haha.

CBiebel

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 19, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
My brother had been homebrewing for a few years and his son, who was 19 at the time, was reading Beowulf and wondered what mead was, since it was mentioned quite a bit. He read up on it and most of the stuff he read said that you had to age mead for 2 years. Doing the math rather easily, he figured he'd make a batch and it would be ready for when he turned 21.

We all tried it and liked it.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
One of the very first things that happened when I moved to Berkeley was being invited to the quasi-annual "Materials Science Homebrew Party". At the time, a large chunk of the grad students in the department brewed. Many still do now, though I'm not sure if the ratio has changed (I did my part by indoctrinating the class below me). At the time I wasn't all that keen on beer, but one person had made some mead which was quite good. Oddly enough, I started brewing beer a few months later and didn't get around to mead for another 18 months.

After trying my first batch (which barely got to the 6 month mark), I recalled trying some mead in NY, I think it might have been from this place, at the awesome local wine shop's Friday tasting (along with cider which was pretty good). Their fruit meads struck us as sweetened fruit wine more than anything else, so I hadn't thought of it again until after making some of my own. Unfortunately (sort of) I've been slowing down lately in anticipation of being out of the country for several months starting next fall and moving to another state when we get back. Big plans for then though!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns