• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Minimum batch size

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
This one is a toss up. For a first venture into mead, unsure if the first batches are going to work out or not, it makes sense and cost effectiveness to make small batches, using one gallon carboys. These are pretty easy to find -- juice containers or jug wine bottles make nice one gallon carboys.

On the other hand, that first mead, especially with good aging, may be so fantastic that you'll want to have a five gallon carboy batch, so you can continue to enjoy it. One gallon batches can go quickly!

--

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I did mostly 1 gal batches at first, and it is sad to see them go so very very fast after bottling, but none of my first bunch were anything to write home about anyways.

If someone was starting with a proven recipe, maybe a big batch would be a better idea, but if it's an experimental batch then I'd probably personally go for 1 gal batches.

Plus, you can always just make 5 or 6 one gallon batchs in your first day, and then have that much more variety when they've aged.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
To me it's a work thing--I'm terribly lazy--a small batch takes as much effort as a larger one, so I may as well do a large batch. I haven't had any of them turn out terrible yet, though...thankfully, and due to large measure to listening to the mentors here.

Prolific_Praxis

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 17, 2007
You might try making a 5-6 gallon batch that is "plain" and then rack to 1 gallon secondary carboys with your "adjuncts" and or additions. I have done this a bunch and it allows for variety and saving a few dollars.

Matrix4b

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2008
Denver Colorado
I followed the advice of "Complete Mead Maker's Guide book" and did 5 gal batch of sweet show mead and it turned out fine. I have been doing 5-6 gallon batches since. To me it makes sense if you are doing a bunch of similar batches with variations as tests in 1 gal batches but if it is something simple or not difficult like say a strawberry mead or another simple mel then go ahead and do a 5-6 gal batch. If you want to see the diffrence of yeast in say 12 diffrent yeasts then make 12 1 gal batches with the only diffrence being the yeast. Or you are testing diffrent ways to make a chocolate mead.

Something similar. Multiple 1 gal batches are great for seeing the diffrences in technique for seeing what happens for when you do a full batch. If it is something that you plan on drinking and sharing and it doesn't appear complicated in implementation, go for a 5 gal or 6 gal batch.

I have found that is it good to develop a good base recipie and then make additions and changes to it.

Ofcourse I only have 15 5-6 gal batches under my belt. No 1 gal yet. Easier to work in bulk. If you keep sanitation always in mind then not much goes wrong and mead making is easy.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns