• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Information/Definitions of Polish Meads.........

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Firstly, I'd like to thank male (Marek) for posting the link to the quoted document in this thread.

Now, I'd also like to point out, that to understand the document, I had to run it through the "google translator", because I don't speak the Polish required to understand it in it's original form.

Additionally, because of the way google works, I had to copy and paste the text, but then to edit it to remove the Polish language sections (as best as I could), to make it more understandable to a larger number of members here at gotmead. The translation isn't brilliant i.e. as clear and straight forward as possible, but again, that'll be because of the way it's been processed by the google translator facility and is in no way, meant to show any disrespect to Polish or Polish speaking members here (or anywhere else for that matter).

I just thought it of sufficient interest, having read a little of Polish type meads to be worth the effort and hope that I haven't caused any offence to anyone.

So:

Definitions
Editor: patricus
Definition
Mead is an alcoholic beverage resulting from the alcoholic fermentation of the wort (that honey diluted with water). Wort may be an additional dressing of herbs, hops, roots or fruit juice.
Division of mead
Depending on how the preparation of the wort or the additives used meads can be divided in many different ways.
1) The division, depending on the preparation of the wort:
• Honey saturated, that is, those whose wort boil,
• Honey niesycone (natural), or those which do not boil.
Many of the old authorities (eg T. Ciesielski) for mead drinks accounted for just saturated. Also in our association can be found as some supporters and others drinks. Many sources give the saturated honey taste better, and niesycone have a better flavor. If we are at the disposal of high-quality honey, I propose to prepare wort niesyconą, having worse sorts of honey, honey, you can cook. Syceniu its decision on whether or not, may also be dependent on the type of honey which we prepare. Honey, fruit will be better niesycone, honey spicy taste better saturated.
2) The division, depending on the density of the wort.
• Półtorak: 1 part by volume of honey and 0.5 parts by volume of water. The density of the wort BLG 57-66. Maturation of about 10 years.
• Dwójniak: 1 part by volume of honey and 1 part by volume of water. The density of the wort BLG 45-53. Maturation of approximately 5 years.
• Trójniak: 1 part by volume of honey and 2 parts water by volume. The density of the wort BLG 32-37. Maturation of about 2-3 years.
• Czwórniak: 1 part by volume of honey and 3 parts by volume of water. The density of the wort BLG 25-29. Maturation about a year.
The above maturity periods are recommended as a minimum by well-known personalities. As experience shows, however, that a particular fruit honeys are ready to drink much sooner.
Given name is the only officially approved names for the honey trade. In practice, however, such as producing honey wort with a density of 40 BLG, we can use the name półdwójniak. Similarly, for the honey and the trójniak czwórniak - półtrójniak.
3) The division, depending on the additives used.
• Natural Honey: without using any additives.
• Honey Fruit: some of the water was replaced with fruit juice.
• Honey-Herb Korzenno: prepared with spices.
Some authors distinguish a category of honeys hop - which uses only hop.
For the curious below the statutory requirements placed on manufacturers of commercial meads (content of acids, sugars, alcohol, etc.).
According to the Regulation of the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development dated 4 February 2003., Meads:
1) are:
a) miodowowinny flavor, harmonized with the flavors of juice used, free of foreign smell - in a honey meads and grape fruit,
b) miodowowinny flavor, harmonized with the taste of juice used, without foreign flavors - honey meads in grape and fruit
c) miodowowinny taste, enriched with the taste of typical spices that are used - in the honey meads and herbal spices, d) the total acidity expressed as malic acid in an amount from 3.5 to 8 grams per liter,
e) the volatile acidity expressed as acetic acid in an amount not greater than 1.4 grams per liter;
2) include:
a) reducing sugars after inversion:
From 35 to 90 grams per liter for Czwórniak,
From 65 to 120 grams per liter for trojniak,
From 175 to 230 grams per liter for dwójniak ',
More than 300 grams per liter in the case and half,
b) ethyl alcohol, multiplied by 18 and accumulated sugar content of not less than the following values:
- 240 - in the case Czwórniak,
- 323 - in the case trojniak,
- 490 - in the case dwójniak ',
- 600 - in the case and half,
c) ethyl alcohol in quantities:
- From 9 to 12% by volume in the case Czwórniak,
- From 12 to 15% by volume in the case trojniak,
- From 15 to 18% by volume in the case of 'dwójniak and and half,
d) the sugar extract in an amount not less than:
- 15 grams per liter for Czwórniak,
- 20 grams per liter for trojniak, Czwórniak grape and fruit
- 25 grams per liter in the case of 'dwójniak, Trójniak grape and fruit
- 30 grams per liter in the case and half, 'dwójniak grape and fruit
- 35 grams per liter and half in the case of grape and fruit
e) the ash content of not less than 1.3 grams per liter in the case of mead and grape fruit.
So, I don't for the minute, claim to fully understand all of the document, but as there does seem to be a need for more Polish language documentation about mead and mead making, being translated into english (mainly because there appears to be a huge amount of info that we might be missing out on, and the huge amount of info that is probably available.The mead makers of Poland having a vast expertise in making a style of mead that most of us might not be familiar with).

If any Polish or Polish speakers, could make a better/clearer to understand of the original document, rather than just relying on the google translation, then that would also be brilliant.

Again, thanks again, to male (Marek) for posting the original link. Brilliant.

regards

fatbloke......

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
So, the first part that's given me thought, is this:
• Półtorak: 1 part by volume of honey and 0.5 parts by volume of water. The density of the wort BLG 57-66. Maturation of about 10 years.
• Dwójniak: 1 part by volume of honey and 1 part by volume of water. The density of the wort BLG 45-53. Maturation of approximately 5 years.
• Trójniak: 1 part by volume of honey and 2 parts water by volume. The density of the wort BLG 32-37. Maturation of about 2-3 years.
• Czwórniak: 1 part by volume of honey and 3 parts by volume of water. The density of the wort BLG 25-29. Maturation about a year.
Not so much the name(s), or the volumes/quantity and maturing times, but where it says about "wort BLG" followed by some numbers, I'm presuming that is referring to "Brix" measurements ???

regards

fatbloke

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
Yes, Blg equals Brix.
Cheers Marek, that's brilliant.

Comical really, I could drive to the Polish border in about 7 hours, but I've never seen any of the Polish meads for sale here in the UK, even the shops that cater for the relatively new Polish communities........

Though I don't know why that might be......

regards

fatbloke

male

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2008
Poland,Jelenia Góra
Cheers Marek, that's brilliant.

Comical really, I could drive to the Polish border in about 7 hours, but I've never seen any of the Polish meads for sale here.

fatbloke

Fatbloke, you can fly to Wrocław and 2 hours later we will try a lot of Polish meads.:)

Marek

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
This is one case where I wish that I was closer (geographically) to you guys! I'd love to spend a day tasting Polish meads in Poland... but the travel time (and cost) from N. America don't allow me to do it (at least at this point in time).

FB, if I get enough free time over the holidays I'll gladly provide that more consistent translation. I spent enough time in Polish Catholic parochial schools as a kid to at least come away with a rudimentary ability to read documents, though I'd never feel comfortable trying to speak Polish to anyone outside my family! :eek:

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Marek, are there any good sledding locations anywhere near your place? I'm trying to get my kids to some good sledding snow this winter sometime and that would be a great way to get us there to visit and share some of those good Polish meads sooner. ;D

keepitlow

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 27, 2009
NE US
Thanks for the info on Polish meads.

I ordered 9 sample bottles of various varieties and it will be nice to have some reference on what they are. When you ask the salespeople they know nothing about them.

I wonder why the Polish people are so big on mead and why not any of the other European countries?

The Polish mead makers seem to like woven bottle covers too!

http://www.piwostawski.us/images/MIody_Medal_news.jpg

TXBeowulf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
"The use of preservatives, stabilisers, and artificial colourings and flavourings is prohibited in the production of x" - From each of the linked documents.

So does that mean you can't use campden or sulphites to stabilize the fermentation of the mead and still call it Czwórniak, Trójniak, Dwójniak or Półtorak?

Also, are the "parts" by weight or volume? I would hope by weight...

Smarrikåka

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
www.mjodhamnen.se
I think it's pretty clear that any additions of sulphites for the purpose of stabalising or preserving is not allowed.

That's a pretty good question. There is specifications on how much residual sugar is required for each kind, so I guess it's within those definitions you would know exactly how much honey you'd have to use.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron

With most liquids, a mixture based on parts is done by volume - its a lot simpler that way. If you tried to to do it based on weight, it wouldn't generate the appropriate gravity. According to the information:
total sugar (g) plus actual alcohol content (% vol.) multiplied by 18: min. 240 g,

240 g/L is about a gravity of 1.090 as your minimum. Using 12 pounds of honey and 36 pounds of water (4.3 gallons) you'd end up with a starting gravity of around 1.083 and wouldn't have enough to produce the necessary amount of alcohol and residual sugar. Using 12 pounds of honey (1 gallon) in a 4 gallon batch, gives about 3 pounds per gallon and a gravity of 1.105-1.110 which should be in the right range.

Smarrikåka, that is really interesting information - even some history of mead making in Poland! I'm still a bit perplexed as to how to make a sweet mead starting with 12 pounds in 4 gallons using a yeast they describe as:

High-attenuation mead yeast
[FONT=EUAlbertina+20][FONT=EUAlbertina+20]
suitable for attenuation of high extracts in pitched wort.

What is the technique used to prevent this mead from going dry (or worse yet - bottle bombs) given no stabilizers? I suppose if you didn't add any nutrients or adjustments to the pH you could end sweet, but I'm not sure you would end at a consistent level. Long aging might eliminate the refermentation issue, but I'm curious to know how they accomplish ending sweet.

Medsen :icon_scratch:

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

TXBeowulf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
Hmm...

That would put the O.G. of a batch of Półtorak at 1.292, if I used the mead calculator correctly. How would you get that to ferment, and if you did, what would you use it for aside from a topping for biscuits?

Smarrikåka

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
www.mjodhamnen.se
I believe you find your answers here:

Stage 7
Flavour-adjustment (composition) — this stage concerns the preparation of a final product having the
organoleptic and physico-chemical properties appropriate to ‘czwórniak’, as specified in point 3.5 —
Description of the agricultural product or foodstuff. In order to ensure that the required parameters are
attained, it is possible to correct the organoleptic and physico-chemical properties by:
— adding honey to sweeten the mead,
— adding herbs and spices.
The aim of this stage is to obtain a product with the characteristic ‘czwórniak’ bouquet.

Stage 8
Pouring into unit containers at a temperature of 55-60 °C. It is recommended that ‘czwórniak’ be
presented in traditional packaging, such as: carboys, ceramic containers or oak barrels.

male

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2008
Poland,Jelenia Góra
Hmm...

That would put the O.G. of a batch of Półtorak at 1.292

—​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]reducing sugars after inversion: > 300 g/l,

—​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]total sugar (g) plus actual alcohol content (% vol.) multiplied by 18: min. 600 g,

[FONT=EUAlbertina+20][FONT=EUAlbertina+20][/FONT][/FONT]alcohol: 15-18 % vol.

From my calculations it is 1,23.

TXBeowulf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
I just used the mead calculator, plugged in 12 pounds of honey (1 gallon) for fermentable #1, checked Target Volume with 1.5 gallons, and hit calculate.

I'm willing to admit that I may not have used the thing properly, but there you have it.

The SG comes out to 1.292, with a final abv of 40.28%, not that you would actually be able to get that out of any yeast...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns