• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

% Sweetness?

Barrel Char Wood Products

DGettere

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2009
When someone talks about the sweetness of a wine, can that equate to mead?

For instance I have heard people say that their wine was a Dry or semi-sweet, with less than 3% sugar or a sweet wine with 3% or more sugar. How do you calculate that % of sweetness?

According to the BJCP guidelines
Dry is TG of .990-1.010
Semi-sweet is a TG of 1.010-1.025
Sweet is 1.025-1.050

How do I figure that % sweetness (if possible) so I can talk with winemakers
and be on the same "scale"?

Thanks
DG

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
So if I'm understanding your question, it is "how do you convert the gravity numbers that we typically use into a percentage of residual sugar?"

The simple answer is you don't. Alcohol has a gravity much lower than 1.000 (0.787 if you were wondering), so the alcohol in the mix is a variable amount depending on the batch that throws the calculations off. A wine or mead with 8% ABV and a gravity of 1.005 has a lot less sugar than a mead with 20% ABV and a gravity of 1.005. You can get an accurate measurement by directly measuring the sugar using Clinitest tablets - but for a sweet batch, you'll have to dilute it into the range of the test (which is around 2% sugar if I recall)

With that said, you can rough out a guesstimate if you make some assumptions. Start with assuming that for a regular strength mead that a completely dry batch would have a gravity of 0.990. Based on tables like the one at brsquared you can say that every 10 gravity points (0.010) equates to roughly 27 grams per liter (or 2.7%) of sugar. So a mead that has a final gravity of 1.000 likely has 2.7 percent, and a mead with a gravity of 1.010 would be close to 5.4%. Mind you this is rough ballpark number that is based on a big assumption (that dry is 0.990 which is not true in most cases).

The NewBee Guide uses the following scale which is not too far from the BJCP numbers:

Dry: 0.990 – 1.006
Medium: 1.006 – 1.015
Sweet: 1.012 – 1.020
Dessert: 1.020+

What I find is that most meads have a lot less acid and tannin than wines. As a result, at the same level of sugar, meads may taste sweeter than wines because the acidity/tannin masks the perception of sweetness in the wine. Thus trying to compare them at the same sugar level may not be fair if the acidity/tannin is not also matched. Meads really are very different from wines.

I hope that helps to answer your question.

Medsen

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns