• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How long do I have before oxidation sets in?

Barrel Char Wood Products

RCP

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2009
I have my first batch in a 7 gallon carboy at the moment. I have about 5 gallons of mead, so there is a lot of surface area in the carboy at this moment.

I'm planning on transferring it to a 5 gallon carboy in the next day or two, but it's been in this carboy for about a month and half. It was previously in my fermenting bucket, but once it finished fermenting, I couldn't just leaving it in there since I have other things that needed brewing.

So I guess my question is this - My mead is about two months old at what point in time does oxidation really start to set in?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
It is highly dependent on the exact recipe that you used, on how much residual CO2 (if any) was in the mead when you racked over to the carboy, and how sensitive you are to the changes in aroma and taste that happen when oxidation occurs. Traditional meads (without fruit adjuncts) tend to be fairly resistant to the effects of oxidation as compared to most fruit and grape wines, and the sherry-like flavors that occur from slight oxidation are not objectionable as long as they don't dominate the flavor profile. You may be OK with your current batch, but to be safe I would suggest racking to a smaller carboy as soon as you possibly can.

Welcome to "Gotmead?" by the way!

RCP

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2009
thanks wayne for the info and welcome.

There was no fruit in this recipe. Pretty basic really (honey, water, nutrients, yeast). So that's good.

I've never even had mead before, so I'm guessing that my sensitivity to off-flavors is minimal. Doesn't mean I don't what to make the best mead I can though.

I'll be racking it this weekend I guess.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Type of varietal honey/s is also a factor in oxidation. In general, the darker honeys have higher levels of anti-oxidants. That will also affect how a mead reacts to O2.

Just a personal observation, I've noticed increased bitterness levels in some meads that had been exposed to O2 for too long a period of time.

--

RCP

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 18, 2009
Type of varietal honey/s is also a factor in oxidation. In general, the darker honeys have higher levels of anti-oxidants. That will also affect how a mead reacts to O2.

Just a personal observation, I've noticed increased bitterness levels in some meads that had been exposed to O2 for too long a period of time.

--

But how long is too long?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
There is no simple answer to this question. It depends too much on the ingredients, the temperature, the level of oxygen, and most importantly your own sensitivity to oxidation products. There are countless stories of one person saying "this wine/beer/cabbage is bad" and the person next to them saying "tastes great!". Just look at kimchee or Toasted Head Chardonnay (neither one is an oxidation issue per se, but both are products I detest yet other people seem to love).

If this batch tastes like wet cardboard to you, it was exposed to air for too long. If not, then it's fine.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
If it is under air-lock since fermentation, then oxygen hasn't really gotten in and CO2 is still coming out of solution (natural degassing).

Once you rack a finished fermentation, it is a different story.

From my experience, I would avoid more than a couple of days with that much headspace unless you have sulfited. A week at the max.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns