• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

BBQ DR9 Style

Barrel Char Wood Products

dr9

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2009
athens ga
8 pound boston butt, on sale 89 cents a pound.

Injected with 2:1 apple cider vinegar and orange blossom honey.

Repeat an hour later.

Start coals on barrel smoker, Wal-Mart special.

Rub:

1 tsp each: Sea Salt, Black Pepper ground fresh, garlic powder, onion powder
2 tsp: cayenne pepper (not fresh, so I upped the standard amount)
5 Tbsp: Brown Sugar
tiny sprinkle cinnamon

Into the smoker on indirect heat at 350

Wait an hour, add handful of soaked hickory chips and a seasoned oak split, and 14 more briquettes. Temp now 307 F.

ENC style sauce on standby, just apple cider vinegar, red pepper flake, some salt and pepper. Sunbeam buns just resting on the counter.

That's where we are now. First beer is cracked. Might have some pics later.

8)

dr9

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2009
athens ga
I wish I could find my Allman Brothers CD. Statesboro Blues is the soundtrack for the day.

Best $180 I ever spent that didn't involve white powder and impressionable freshmen. Walmart Barrel Smoker:

IMG_5708.jpg

IMG_5709.jpg

IMG_5710.jpg

My little helpers:

IMG_5711.jpg

dr9

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2009
athens ga
Here we go. Internal temp approaching lamp-down-low status. I heard from an old friend this afternoon, she was at the gas station buying condoms in Cobb County and met a guy she liked and went home with him. She ain't good looking, but she's someone sweet and kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPdcjukAioI

Low and slow is a false prophecy.

dr9

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2009
athens ga
"Low And Slow" my ass.

Ten hours at 350. That's the way you do it, money for nothing and your chicks for free. Custom Kitchen delivery, et cetera.

IMG_5766.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

IMG_5770.jpg

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Totally jealous, I wish I had a big chunk of elk or bison to do something fun with... unfortunately I'm off the land animals for a year, :( so once summer hits up here I'll just be BBQing salmon, portobellos and eggplant!

I guess I can't complain, those are 3 of the tastiest things out there! Next year, I'm getting me some elk from the family farm though!:)

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
The pic of the barrel smoker, excellent. We don't often see that type over here though I'd love to try one out.

Most BBQing here is rubbish, more grilling than "proper" BBQ. Plus most of the time, the damn weather doesn't stay good for long enough to use one for that long.

The meat certainly looks good though :p

regards

fatbloke

dr9

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2009
athens ga
11 hours. In sober hindsight, was shooting for 8 hours by going over 300 degrees and it probably would have been with my typical cut which is around 5 pounds. The secret really is an internal of 190. It will rise steadily and then hit the wall at 170 for a couple of hours, for whatever reason, then it breaks through and races up to 190. This was the most tender I've ever made without the use of foil or an oven. Pulled it with one fork and one spoon. Nice sized chunks. Tender, but still a little chew, not mushy. The best I've ever made.

The downside of these smokers is the amount of coals it takes to keep it to temperature; it radiates alot of heat. And if you let it cool off too much, it takes a while (and alot of coals) to get it back up to temperature. I went through about 2/3 of a 15 pound bag. That's ok if you are cooking alot of food, because it takes the same amount of coals. But for one or two racks of ribs, or a boston butt, it's overkill.

This meat will make great carnitas and omelettes as well. We probably yielded 5 pounds of it.

Displaced Hick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
Arlington, WA
The downside of these smokers is the amount of coals it takes to keep it to temperature; it radiates alot of heat.

A little side note and maybe a little help for the future. I have a similar setup (although mine also has the side firebox) and one thing to note on them, a lot of heat is lost through the gap between the top and bottom sections. The easiest fix is to go to a hardware store and pick up some of that insulating strip used for sealing the glass in fireplaces. The downside to this is how to attach it (I haven't found a method that works yet).

dr9

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2009
athens ga
This one also has one, but I don't use it because of all the heat lost. To keep the main chamber up above 200, you've got to keep the box around 12,000. I don't know that tape is going to solve that on this model. The metal on the main chamber is pretty thin, it just doesn't hold heat like the high end models.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns