• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

tried an experiment

Barrel Char Wood Products

dauthiatull

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2009
i had some leftover honey so I mixed it with water to get a og of 1.12. cant remember how much honey but it was enough to make 2 gallons of must.

from that I made two 1 gallon batches.

first one was a barely drinkable failure so i will omit that

in the second I put 3 6oz containers of blackberries that were forzen/thawed and mashed. it took up quite a bit of the carboy. then toped it with the must and added 1tsp each on neutrient and energiser. the gravity of that mix was 1.100.

added 1tsp of flichmans bread yeast and put it away.
racked into another carboy after a month although some of the mash got into the secondary enough to make a half inch layer floating on top 1.014
2 weeks later it was clear and half of the mashed berries were on the bottom.
bottled it. final was 1.012

well it didnt taste like blackberries but it was very good. more like a merlo with a deep red color. not too dry, not too sweet. in fact it was the best tasting mead i have made so far. sometimes my tinkering pays off LOL

due to the price of the blackberries im going to try the same thing using frozen mixed berries, at least till blackberry season when im going to pick my own and freeze them.

Im also going to try juising the berries and only adding a thin layer of the pulp to maximize the final yeald.

any thoughts?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Congratulations on making some good mead!

And as for the batch that wasn't so good, perhaps time will allow it to improve and it might surprise you if you hang onto it.

If you are going to make more and are concerned about maximizing the volume my suggestion would be to make a larger batch in a bucket - say 1.5 gallons or more, then when you rack it you'll have enough to completely fill the gallon container. Another way to handle it is to make two batches in a gallon jug. You can leave enough headspace to allow the fermentation to get done, and when you rack you'll have enough to fill a gallon completely.

You can try juicing the berries, but if you don't include the all the berry pulp you may get less color and tannin extracted. That may be just fine depending on your tastes and what you are looking for, but it may be different from what you had the first time.

I wish you great success with the next batch!

Medsen

Last edited:

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I'm curious to hear about the bad batch. Failures are often more instructive than successes.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns