• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Old Brewer New to Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

BadKarma

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2010
SW Missouri
Howdy y'all. I'm an old hillbilly homebrewer, 10 yeas as a brewer and 47 years as a hillbilly. My best friend and collage roommate was a mead maker, but I recently got interested when I started scaling down my beer brewing to 2.5 gal batches and smaller. Now my horizons are opening up to mead and wine. I stopped brewing the 5 gal batches because I like a lot of variety and 5 gallons is hard to get rid of when you live in an area where everyone has drunk the Budweiser koolaid.

Anyway, just thought I'd say Howdy. :icon_geek:

Now a quick question:

Is there anything I should know before I attempt my first small batch? Thinking a 2.5 gal or a 1 gal. Anything I should keep in mind?

Thanks for a great site.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Welcome to GotMead BadKarma!

There are quite a few differences to get used to with mead making. Reading the NewBee guide will give you some idea. Some of the biggest are the requirements for nutrients which is uncommon for beers, the need for aeration which sounds like heresy to most brewers, and the extended time period required for aging.

That last one is a doozie. A traditional mead can easily take 1 to 2 years to reach maturity before which it can taste unpleasant. That's a far cry from the 2-4 weeks many beers require. It could literally test the patience of Job so be prepared. Of course that also turns into an advantage if you make a 5 gallon batch - it can age for years so you don't have to worry about getting rid of it in a hurry.

I hope you'll have fun with it.

Medsen

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Hey, Karma! Let me add my welcome to the "Gotmead?" community, too! I think Medsen gave you excellent advice - read the Newbee Guide and that should answer most of your questions. If you still have any, post them here before you start your first batch and we'll do our best to help you get started with mead.

BadKarma

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2010
SW Missouri
Thanks y'all.

Well step one is done, I ordered the Complete Meadmaker, it should be here wednesday. I'm old hand to the research thing, I hate to go into something blind, so I tend to research the crap out of everything. It took me a year to switch from extract brewing to all grain. Heck I still do a dry run the night before a brew day, just to be sure.

But I will have to work on the patience thing, I have the patience of a gnat!!!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns