• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Silly question

Barrel Char Wood Products

ibwahooka

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2008
Augusta, GA
Hey everyone,
I moved my batch of JAO last night to prepare to bottle it, and it got really cloudy. If I give it a few days, it should clear back up again right??

-Shawn

Cuchulain

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 17, 2009
Yes, it should clear up shortly. Usually a good idea to move your fermenter a day or so before you intend to bottle.

ibwahooka

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2008
Augusta, GA
So here's something interesting. After I moved my carboy, the oranges began falling and my JAO started to clear up again. Last night when I went to bed, almost 3/4 of the oranges had fallen to the bottom of the carboy. I wake up this morning and all the oranges are back up top and there is some small activity started back in the carboy! I was really looking forward to a fresh glass of JAO this weekend.

Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

-Shawn

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I have noticed this with some of my melomels that contain floating fruit, so often a couple days before I want to rack it, I'll jiggle the carboy a bit to encourage things to settle out earlier so it doesn't get stirred up when I move the carboy.

ibwahooka

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2008
Augusta, GA
I have noticed this with some of my melomels that contain floating fruit, so often a couple days before I want to rack it, I'll jiggle the carboy a bit to encourage things to settle out earlier so it doesn't get stirred up when I move the carboy.

That is odd. I wonder why it does that. Oh well, all the oranges have now fallen back to the bottom of my carboy, the mead has cleared and I should be able to bottle this weekend!

Now where did I put all my bottles......?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns