• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Melomels reacting differently - what's going on?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Cuchulain

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 17, 2009
So, I made about 15L of show mead (quite nice stuff), then racked it into 3 different 5L bottles. I added 1 kilo of berries to one, 1 kilo of plums to another, and left he third a show mead. I found I had quite a bit extra - someone hadn't remembered to calculate the size of 2 kilos of fruit in the original recipe - so I dragged out my 4th 5L bottle and half filled it with the rest. I had some leftover apple juice in the fridge, so I dumped that in as well (about 500ml worth) and cut up a Granny Smith apple and threw it in as well.

It all tastes pretty good. But I'm interested in the different reactions the different additions have made. The 4th bottle, 2 days in, is almost completely clarified. The show mead is still totally cloudy. The plums are interesting - it's a little clearer than the show mead, but kind of stratified - a lot of the plums are floating, some are totally sunk, but a few have found the middle of the mead the most interesting place to "float". The fluid underneat is cloudier than on top - perhaps the precipitating yeast is making the bottom layer more dense than the top. Incidentally, the berry melomel is the star of the bunch - it tastes wonderful!

It's the apple addition that has me curious - Why did this one clarify so speedily? A couple of options: There might be some undeclared preservative in the apple juice, killing the remaining yeast and thus clarifying the mead. Or the fruit juice was easier to ferment, increasing the alcohol content beyond the yeast's tolerance, killing them off and clarifying the mead. Or some weird pectin thing I don't understand has been going on. Thoughts?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns