• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Swarmed hive

Barrel Char Wood Products

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
My hive swarmed a couple weeks ago and the lot that took a hike vanished after about an hour.

Is there anything I need to do with the girls that remained in the hive? Just let nature take its course or intervene?

I am very hesitant in opening it in fear of breaking open queen cells.

This is the second year for this particular hive and I am hoping to harvest honey in a month or so.

Thanks!

Angelic Alchemist

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
www.Angelic-Alchemy.com
Kerry says to leave it alone: the old queen left with the swarm, so there's a new queen (or one in the making) already. If you have queen cells, then there is nothing to worry about...just let nature take its course. You'll see larva as soon as the new queen goes on her mating flight.

In the future, you can put out a bee trap to catch the swarm whenever the hive splits. You should be able to get one from any bee keeping catalogue.

A

andrewschwab

Kerry says to leave it alone: the old queen left with the swarm, so there's a new queen (or one in the making) already. If you have queen cells, then there is nothing to worry about...just let nature take its course. You'll see larva as soon as the new queen goes on her mating flight.

In the future, you can put out a bee trap to catch the swarm whenever the hive splits. You should be able to get one from any bee keeping catalogue.

Yaaa what he said, although catching the swarm is a crap shoot. The swarm will usually look for something at least 100 yards away, BUT in what direction.:confused:
Funny thing, I have noticed swarms tend to land on the same limb, trunk etc.. year after year. Well at least the years there are swarms

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns