• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

National Mead Day 2010

Barrel Char Wood Products

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Just a reminder that tomorrow August 7, 2010 is national mead day which is always a good time to introduce friends and acquaintances to a bad habit. :)

This year's recipe is a melomel with fruit added to secondary. Their recipe calls for using Wyeast sweet mead yeast, so God bless all those poor devils who are about to encounter a stuck fermentation (though they do advise a starter).

I understand Bnektar meadery is having mead day celebration. Is anyone else out there throwing a party?

For myself, I'll probably start my group brew chocolate tomorrow.

I wish everyone a happy mead day!

Medsen

DaleP

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 30, 2008
Webster Groves, Mo
In Saint Louis, we are having a "Meading" at my place. Several of us are gathering in the afternoon to sample a few different meads. Should be fun!

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
The recipe says Wyeast or whatever yeast you want! I plan to use 71b. :p

We are going to join Northern Brewer in Milwaukee tomorrow. The Milwaukee Beer Barons, represented by my wife and I, are starting 13 batches of mead. I am sure there will be others, and NB is making some too.

First is the Mead Day Recipe. We will use either Black Locust or Basswood. Might be Orange Blossom too, but I doubt it. Will decide which later tonight. My wife, the Mead Queen, has decreed that it will be a multi berry melomel. We have about 15 lbs of fruit in the freezer. We are modifying a bit and putting half in the primary which the recipe does not call for. But it only calls for about half that fruit. We usually put at least 15 lbs in 5 gallons!

We are planning on doing some mead classes next year. So making a bunch of traditional meads for sampling. Basswood, Black Locust, Orange Blossom, Alfalfa, Clover, Orange Blossom from another source, Sunflower, Cranberry Blossom, Wildflower, Buckwheat, Blueberry Blossom, and Mesquite. We are keeping about 3 ounces of each honey to taste with the finsihed mead. Each is 12 lbs of honey and 3 gallons of water. Using the staggered nutrient addition method on them. 3.6 grams of nutrient and DAP at start, 2.2 grams of each after a day or two, then 1.4 grams of each another day or two later. Mesquite is rare in this part of the world. I could only find it at Trader Joes, and it is a bit expensive. Only making a 1 gallon batch of that with 3 lbs of honey.

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
Gonna start a roadtrip down the California coast with my wife tomorrow. Lotsa redwoods, then we're going to swing through Sunnyvale and check out Rabbit's Foot Meadery. Then it's on to Knott's Berry Farm, then a wedding, where we will of course bestow upon the bride and groom a bottle or two of our finest mead. Honeymoon, right? Meeting up with lots of relatives, and bringing enough mead so they all get a bottle. I'll be a little behind on the date (8/7), but at the end of the day, we'll have introduced a few dozen new folks to the wonders of mead. :)

And of course if they start sounding like they'd like to make some, I'm pretty sure I know the resource to which we'll point them... gotmead.com.

...which'll make this post quite amusing if they were to see it.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
No mead day for me this year, because although I am in what is arguably the stereotypic home of mead, nobody seems to know what it is and nobody drinks it. Woe!

S

sima74

Looks like I found the right day to start up my first large batch of mead with the proper equipment. I love it when a plan comes together. ;D

epetkus

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Florida
Hmmm...,

Guess I'll have to sample (for quality checks of course!) the three I got going right now in primary/brand new secondary.

There is, of course, batches 1 & 2 that may need 2nd year checks! ;D

Eric

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I'm going to have some folks over, I'll be doing a taste of my 4-strain yeast test (last bottles!) and hopefully the heat/no heat meads. And whatever else I can dig up from the closet. And some Rabbit's Foot.

I fully intend to be more sober than last year though. ;)

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Happy mead day to all!
I’m new to the home brew game, so I have nothing to celebrate with this year. :( However, I have six one gallon batches of JAO in the making. It should be aged real nice for next year.:)
Be safe. Please don’t drink and drive. We need you.

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
Good Mead day to you!

I shall be lifting a glass and toasting the day this evening with a batch of my finest I have made to date...

Best to drink quality, then it is to drink quantity? Unless you can do both...!
It is good to be King of the Meadery...

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Happy mead day!

O.K., so what I did to celebrate mead day this year was to become a paid patron at Gotmead.com.

Happy mead day to me,
Happy mead day to me…
:)

Jord

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 30, 2009
Bowmanville, Ontario
Well in celebration of Mead Day I bottled my Joe's Quick Pyment that I started back in May and I'll be quaffing some this evening while watching the UFC pay per view at a friend's house......I'm sure it'll add a little class to the evening.....at least until the first couple of bottles are gone.........

I guess in hindsight I should have saved a bottle of the traditional I did a little over a year ago but what was left went into topping up my cyser....oh well.....

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
And lo shall I raise a bottle of ginger hydromel. After a jog. But I racked five batches and (re)bottled one yesterday, that's gotta count for something, right?

Tygia

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 24, 2010
St. Pete FL
And Oh what a glorious Mead Day it is!
Starting a Mango Habanero..only a 2 gallon batch since my neighbors pilfered my Mango tree...GRRRHHH Then a nice evening stroll on the beach sharing a bottle of RazaPotle with my love.

Happy Mead Day
Blessed Be the Bees
Tygia

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Good mead day to all.

I shall be lifting a glass and toasting the day this evening with a batch of my finest I have made to date...

Best to drink quality, then it is to drink quantity? Unless you can do both...!

I too will be toasting the day with a 14 month old bottle of dry, traditional, goldenrod mead. And then perhaps open up a smaller bottle of the sparkling version of the same!

Cheers 'n' 'nat! (<---- Pittsburghese for "Cheers and all the good stuff that goes with it as well!")

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns