• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Am i stalled or has fermentation just run it's course?

Barrel Char Wood Products

ohiobr

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2010
1 gallon batch:
3lbs of raw clover honey
1 white peach
1tsp of yeast nutrient
spring water
Lalvin 71B-1122
Kept between 70-60* F
SG at the start was 1.1 (don't have current one but will tomorrow when i rack)

It bubbled good and strong for 2 weeks then started slowing down. Today (25 days after pitch) I checked it, there were no more bubbles and the water in the airlock had evened out in both chambers.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Hi and Welcome!

Once you take your SG reading, you'll know if it's stuck or not. Two weeks is certainly time enough to ferment to completion, given the right conditions.

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Sounds like it might be done, but let your hydrometer be your guide. 71B will easily go to 14-15% ABV. We typically get a full fermentation within 2 weeks at the meadery. Sounds like your on your way to some great mead.

Cheers,

ohiobr

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2010
Racking done

abv at 14% ;D

It's very dry and has a strong yeast smell.

I expect the yeast smell to go away but will it sweeten up at all or is that something I'm going to have to do when bottling?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Racking done

abv at 14% ;D

It's very dry and has a strong yeast smell.

I expect the yeast smell to go away but will it sweeten up at all or is that something I'm going to have to do when bottling?
Often a dry(ish) taste will fade some, but you'd need to check prior to doing anything else with it.

You may find that the yeast taste you mention either fades of actually throws another sediment.

The flavour might change considerably during ageing but if you're sort of planning on back sweetening anyway, it would normally be done before bottling - which is usually the last thing to be done..... apart from the ageing of course.....

regards

fatbloke

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I find that the impression of sweetness does indeed often come back after 8 or 10 months. Backsweeting is a fine option though if a half a year from now you still find it too dry for your tastes. If you do this, you'll have to stabilize the mead with suphite and sorbate to ensure that fermentation doesn't start up again and give you bottle bombs. Do some searching for stabilizing advice on this forum and you'll find lots. You'll want to stabilize, wait a day or two (I believe) then backsweeten to taste, then wait a couple weeks of making sure the SG doesn't move after backsweetening.

epetkus

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Florida
I'll echo AToE's comments.

Sweetness (or the impression of it), does indeed reassert itself around 10 months, so if you want a sweeter mead, I suggest waiting until then.

Eric

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns