• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Calculator problem

Barrel Char Wood Products

Moski

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 27, 2010
I just started a Cyser as follows:
K1V cultured 24hrs @ 70deg
34oz Clover Honey
Unfiltered pasturized cider to 1 gal (some reserved for headroom makeup)
1 cinnamon stick.

I got a hydrometer reading of 1.098 corrected.

The canculator here say I should be getting SG 1.114/ Pot ABV 14.84 with the Honey alone.
When I add in .95 gal apples (no drop down for juice or cider) it gives SG 1.167/ Pot ABV 20.75.:confused:

I am needless to say, confused. That's a huge difference and I'm too ignorant of this stuff to figger it out.
Straighten me Naz, I'm ready.

Last edited:

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
When you say 34 ounces, is that 34 ounce by weight, or 34 fluid ounces (which would around 50 ounce by weight - a bit over 3 pounds)?

Apple juice usually has a gravity around 1.050. Can you measure a sample of the juice alone?

If you add 3 pounds of honey in a gallon, you should have a gravity close to 1.105, so adding that to apple juice should give you a gravity above 1.150.

What is your uncorrected hydrometer reading?
Is all the honey dissolved?
Can you verify the amount of honey added?

Moski

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 27, 2010
When you say 34 ounces, is that 34 ounce by weight, or 34 fluid ounces (which would around 50 ounce by weight - a bit over 3 pounds)?

Apple juice usually has a gravity around 1.050. Can you measure a sample of the juice alone?

If you add 3 pounds of honey in a gallon, you should have a gravity close to 1.105, so adding that to apple juice should give you a gravity above 1.150.

What is your uncorrected hydrometer reading?
Is all the honey dissolved?

Can you verify the amount of honey added?
The honey was dissolved at 90deg and mixed into the rest of the cider.
The honey came in 12oz bottles, I think fluid ounces but I'll check.
I do have more of that cider so I'll check the SG.
The correction was + .002 for the must temp at pitching.

Moski

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 27, 2010
The honey was dissolved at 90deg and mixed into the rest of the cider.
The honey came in 12oz bottles, I think fluid ounces but I'll check.
I do have more of that cider so I'll check the SG.
The correction was + .002 for the must temp at pitching.

Cider came in at 1.054
Honey simply says 12oz. I believe it's by weight and it seems to work out closer to right that way. I come up with SG 1.14/17.81 ABV.

Two days of aerating twice daily and 1/3 nutrient/energiser and it was showing 1.092 at racking onto 1/4tsp nutmeg and allspice. I'm going for an apple pie finish.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns