• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Barrel Char Wood Products

zackterry

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 29, 2010
colorado
Hi there ! I'm new to the mead making scene, and I thought I'd introduce myself. I've brewed my own beer and ciders in the past, and I'm stepping up to the challenge of mead making. Since I'm new to this, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-zackterry

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Welcome to what is probably the single most authoritative resource for mead making in the English speaking world!

I'd recomend reading through the newbee guide (in the lefthand menu of this site). A lot of the info will be redundant for you, but some of the differences between meadmaking and brewing are extreme enough that you'll want a good working knowledge before starting your first batch.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Welcome aboard, zackterry!

I guess I'll say it before the mentors do, have a thorough read of the Newbee Guide. There's a lot of good info there and if you're already into beer and cider there shouldn't be too much to confuse you there.

Get to know the search tool on this page, this wonderful group of folks have tried fermenting just about anything, it's always good to review other people's experiences before you start making something with a particular ingredient.

And if you can't find it, ask!!

If you like sweet drinks, I highly suggest trying a JAO, it'll at least be done fast enough to keep you away from any traditional meads or melomels you want to age but can't keep your hands off of :)

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
What everyone else said, and although nobody else has mentioned it, I highly recommend spending some quality time with the Newbee Guide.

:)

zackterry

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 29, 2010
colorado
Hey, thanks for the wonderful input guys! The newbee guide seems really informative, and I've just got the supplys together for a gallon of Joe's ancient orange mead. Not trying to rush it, mind, I just started there to get my feet wet, and a friend of mine made it before, and it's TASTY!!!

-zackterry

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought it was funny that 4 of the 5 responses said something like "And since no one else mentioned it, I'd check out the NewBee guide". :rolleyes:

But, I digress. Welcome to GotMead zackterry! Once you start making mead...it's very hard to stop. :p

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought it was funny that 4 of the 5 responses said something like "And since no one else mentioned it, I'd check out the NewBee guide". :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was a running joke for a minute. (I think everyone knew that the people before them had mentioned it;))

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns