View Full Version : Low Gravity Mead didn't dry out?

12-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Here is what I did.
8.5lb Honey
Water to 5 gallons

SG 1.060
2.5tsp generic yeast nutrient
20-30 seconds pure O2
5g Lalvin D47

1 tsp generic yeast nutrient

Today I finally had time to rack to secondary, I added Metabisulfate and sorbate as I intended to back sweeten and flavor later.
I took a gravity reading and it came out at 1.019.
At no time did I notice any problems with the bubbling, everything seemed to go as normal. Taste wise this mead is pretty much where I want it so I am not worried, just trying to figure out what I did wrong, the yeast was fresh, I didn't rehydrate it but it took off within 1 or 2 hours after pitching anyway.
Any ideas what might have gone wrong? There are no off flavor or anything, this mead will go quickly I have no doubt.


12-03-2010, 10:38 AM
My first guess would be pH. In traditional meads, it is common for the pH to drop significantly, and often to a level where the yeast just stop working. If you can, check the pH of the mead now. If it is below 3.0, chances are that's your problem.

Dan McFeeley
12-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Sounds like a tough one. What is the ambient temperature you were fermenting at? If you're like me, typical basement home meadery, the temperature can be pretty cool during this time of year.

This is also a low gravity mead, which suggests the overall nutrient level is going to be low, maybe too low for the nutrient additive to buck it up high enough for the yeasties. You might want to consider restarting the fermentation with Lalvin KV-1116. This is a low nitrogen requirement yeast, good for restarting stalled or sluggish fermentations.

Keep us posted!


12-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Well, I racked another traditional mead that I had made out of primary and it had the same problem. It just barely made it to the 1/3 sugar break before cutting out. I have some PH strips that should be in with an order here on Monday so I will check that first on both meads. If that isn't the issue I may add some more nutrients (I have Dap and Fermaid K in my order too)
The fermentation stayed around 70 F within a degree or two.
The honey that I used for both these meads was a few years old and had solidified and needed to be re-liquefied, not sure if that would have had any effect (or affect as appropriate)
As a last resort I do have some KV-1116 on hand that I will use to dry this mead out.

Thanks for your help!


12-11-2010, 03:31 AM
There was something in "The Compleat Meadmaker" about a problem that gets worse as honey ages... He suggested using the freshest honey. <-- that's all I took from that section... I can't remember any more.