• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Honey proves a better option for childhood cough than OTC cough syrup.

Barrel Char Wood Products

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It's an old article, but I did not find it previously posted using the search engine. So here it is for all you moms and dads out there, in time for most of the winter cough season.

A study by a Penn State College of Medicine found that a small dose of buckwheat honey given before bedtime provided better relief of nighttime cough and sleep difficulty in children than no treatment or dextromethorphan (DM), a cough suppressant found in many over-the-counter cold medications. Complete story here.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
This is unsurprising to me.
there's a particular honey we can get here called Manuka it's meant to be 10 fold stonger than normal honey for healing. However: It's hard to extract, because the combs are really tight, and it has a medicinal twang to it, and it's terribly expensive.

I find for a sore throat or cough, honey water and lemon juice is very effective. If the patient is old enough a shot of whiskey makes it even better as a night cap for the sick.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I find for a sore throat or cough, honey water and lemon juice is very effective. If the patient is old enough a shot of whiskey makes it even better as a night cap for the sick.

Ah, the "universal" cold/cough/flu treatment -- my first taste of whisky was in this particular mix, and I must have been about 5 or 6 years old at the time! It worked, at least as I remember... ;)

We still use this today for all members of the family when a cold or the flu strikes.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yup, and it tastes a LOT better than Buckley's!!

... although very young children aren't supposed to have unpasteurized honey, if I recall correctly.

There's also an African honey I read about years ago that has antibacterial properties, nothing like that in clover honey or any other North American variety though.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Yup, and it tastes a LOT better than Buckley's!!

... although very young children aren't supposed to have unpasteurized honey, if I recall correctly.

There's also an African honey I read about years ago that has antibacterial properties, nothing like that in clover honey or any other North American variety though.

All honey has antimicrobial properties. :)

That's why microbes won't grow in it.

mccann51

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2010
Southwestern USA
Unfortunately I don't have a source to back this up, but honey is supposed to be as good a cough suppressant as codeine, which is considered the standard by which cough syrups are judged (ie codeine is a very good cough suppressant).

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
Unfortunately I don't have a source to back this up, but honey is supposed to be as good a cough suppressant as codeine, which is considered the standard by which cough syrups are judged (ie codeine is a very good cough suppressant).

Hmmmmm?

Seems if I go into the memory banks I can remember Mom And Grandma giving this to me with something that put me to sleep...Grandpa sure did like his whiskey?

And it worked too.....:angel12:

TB

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
All honey has antimicrobial properties. :)

That's why microbes won't grow in it.

Microbes won't grow in corn syrup either, I blame the low water content, nothing to do with antimicrobial properties, just not a nice place for bugs to grow. Plus, I have had diluted honey go moldy (it had crystallized in my squeeze-bottle and I added a small amount of boiling water to liquefy it again), even though it's said to produce hydrogen peroxide... <shrug>

But that aside, this study I read about actually indicated that using honey as a contact antibiotic did something. I seem to recall several honeys were tested and the African honey worked actively to kill bacteria but North American didn't perform the same way.

This isn't it, but it's the closest I've found in 30 seconds with a search engine.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
<snip>
Plus, I have had diluted honey go moldy (it had crystallized in my squeeze-bottle and I added a small amount of boiling water to liquefy it again), even though it's said to produce hydrogen peroxide... <shrug>
<snip>

Don't add water... that's a recipe for mead ;-)
heat to 36 degrees to decrystalise. Keep at 36 or below 0 to stop it crystalising.
Apparently the bees keep the honey at 36 degrees and that is what stops it crystalising in the hive.

also honey has oft been used in poultices and is said to aid healing.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Chevette Girl,

From Wikipedia,

Osmotic effect

Honey is primarily a saturated mixture of two monosaccharides. This mixture has a low water activity; most of the water molecules are associated with the sugars and few remain available for microorganisms, so it is a poor environment for their growth. If water is mixed with honey, it loses its low water activity, and therefore no longer possesses this antimicrobial property.

Hydrogen peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is formed in a slow-release manner by the enzyme glucose oxidase present in honey. It becomes active only when honey is diluted, requires oxygen to be available for the reaction (thus it may not work under wound dressings, in wound cavities or in the gut), is active only when the acidity of honey is neutralised by body fluids, can be destroyed by the protein-digesting enzymes present in wound fluids, and is destroyed when honey is exposed to heat and light.[58] Honey chelates and deactivates free iron, which would otherwise catalyze the formation of oxygen free radicals from hydrogen peroxide, leading to inflammation. Also, the antioxidant constituents in honey help clean up oxygen free radicals present.[60]

C6H12O6 + H2O + O2 → C6H12O7 + H2O2 (glucose oxidase reaction)

When honey is used topically (as, for example, a wound dressing), hydrogen peroxide is produced by dilution of the honey with body fluids. As a result, hydrogen peroxide is released slowly and acts as an antiseptic.

In diabetic ulcers

Topical honey has been used successfully in a comprehensive treatment of diabetic ulcers when the patient cannot use topical antibiotics.[61]

Acidity

The pH of honey is commonly between 3.2 and 4.5.[57] This relatively acidic pH level prevents the growth of many bacteria.

Methylglyoxal

The non-peroxide antibiotic activity is due to methylglyoxal (MGO) and an unidentified synergistic component. Most honeys contain very low levels of MGO, but manuka honey contains very high levels. The presence of the synergist in manuka honey more than doubles MGO antibacterial activity.[58]

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Aah, thank you mmclean. It was probably the methylglyoxal content that they were studying in the artcle I'd read :)

Starring_Emma

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2011
My grandpa would mix a couple of ounces of honey in a glass of whiskey for a bad cough. He seemed to have bad coughs a lot.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
The only thing my parents ever used whiskey for was to give to sick children. Nasty, but I'd sleep.

Nowadays that'd probably be child abuse. :mad:

Meriadoc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
sooooo... when we say "honey makes a good wound dressing", what it really means is that peroxide is good on wounds, and honey contains peroxide?

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
If you are really interested in using Honey as wound dressing, here is more information than you will hopefully ever need.

http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/

The University of Waikato in New Zealand actually has a Honey Research Department dedicated to studying all of the medicinal uses of honey.

Dr P.C.Molan, BSc, PhD is the Director and actually kindly spent time talking with a friends doctor about wound care.

Lots of good stuff out there.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns