• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First timer - alcohol test

Barrel Char Wood Products

MeaderBaker

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
I measured my sugar content when I first pitched my yeast back in November.
I got a reading of 14 % potential alcohol. Which translates to 1.12 S.G.? Correct?

I have just finished measuring it again and got a reading of 0 for potential alcohol content. Which then translates to 1.0 S.G.

the guide then says 133*(SG-FG)
so, 133*(1.12-1.0) =
133*(.12) = 15.96 % alcohol
Did I do this right? Seems high

Mead: JAOM recipe off the forum * 5 gallon

Thanks for any help

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
I measured my sugar content when I first pitched my yeast back in November.
I got a reading of 14 % potential alcohol. Which translates to 1.12 S.G.? Correct?

I have just finished measuring it again and got a reading of 0 for potential alcohol content. Which then translates to 1.0 S.G.

the guide then says 133*(SG-FG)
so, 133*(1.12-1.0) =
133*(.12) = 15.96 % alcohol
Did I do this right? Seems high

Mead: JAOM recipe off the forum * 5 gallon

Thanks for any help

First up, let me recommend you buy a hydrometer that ONLY has SG reading on it, ABV and available sugar readings are skewed by the amount of alcohol in a batch.
Usually meads use a factor of 135 so a 1.100 has a max potential of 13.5
Beers use a factor of 128 or something, So can skew your numbers a bit.

Next: What yeast were you using? What's its ABV tolerance? - hmm perhaps JAP suggests bread yeast, so you have NFI regarding that last q.

you've used a factor of 133, as above, I usually use 135. but close enough eh...

Your discrepancy comes in your assumption that avail able sugar: 14% translates to 1.12 yet you use 133 for your next calc.
133*0.120 = 15.96%

however the beer factor is different
0.120/14% = 8.5
So the factor here is 8.5

So something's skewiff with your figures.

if 14% is right, then your OG could be 14%/133 = 105 points change. so 1.105 in total.

I hope this helps somewhat, I'm not sure if I've answered your question or just given you more to think about.

MeaderBaker

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
My hydrometer has Specific Gravity and Potential Alcohol. When I first measured it, I got the reading of 1.2 SG
That was November 15 2010
Measuring it again today, I got 1.0 SG

Using bakers yeast as per recipe. Tolerance of 12%

The 133 comes from the Beginners guide.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
This gets easier if you will put your hydrometer readings out to 3 digits. When you say you got 1.12 is that 1.102 or 1.120?

If it was 1.120 that has a potential alcohol of nearly 16% and if it went to 1.000 then yes, you are close to 16% ABV - the 133 number works reasonably well. All these calculations are rough estimates at best.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns