• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gotta love Craigslist sometimes

Barrel Char Wood Products

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I just picked up and disassembled two 15.5 gallon Coors kegs for $25 each on Craigslist. I just need some weldless conversions, and I can finally make 10 gallon batches and stop using a bag to mash. A false bottom would be nice. Now I'll finally have a real mash run and boil kettle! And all for around what one Boilmaker might cost.

I have to say, I'm even more excited to try turbid mashing, with a traditional 5-6 hour boil for my first lambic. With that much space, I can easily end up with 5-6 gallons after starting around 12.

Just one more reason I love looking for brewing equipment online. :)

Golddiggie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2010
Nashua, NH (USA)
photo.golddiggie.com
Nice score (you suck)... lol

I actually picked up a 60 quart aluminum stock pot the other day, along with the steamer basket insert for it. About to make a mesh insert for the basket (to hold 20+ pounds of grain) and install a ball valve in it (and my 32 quart aluminum pot)... Got the propane burner on order, so I'm about ready for kicking my brewing kung-fu up a peg...

I have a BarleyWine recipe that I'm still refining... Currently has 25.5# of grain in it (no malt extract, or any other sugars involved)... Should be able to get 12-14% ABV out of it... Oh, and it's a 5 gallon batch target size (much larger pre-boil with that much grain)... OG of about 1.140... Plan to mash around 152F so that it ferments lower... Probably have to finish it with EC-1118, starting with Wyeast #1728... Working name is "MegaTon"... It will nuke your world... Might go with something else for a name... All depends on how it comes out... >:D

Golddiggie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2010
Nashua, NH (USA)
photo.golddiggie.com
I do have a line on three 7.5 gallon Sanke kegs... Planning on using them as fermenters... ;D Not sure of the price just yet, just hope it's reasonable. If not, I'll keep looking for them. Wouldn't need to worry about what's fermenting inside of them, that's for certain. Zero chance of light skunking, and virtually bullet-proof...

mccann51

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2010
Southwestern USA
Hey, man, you wouldn't want stray bullets ruining your brew, would you?

Yogi, you gonna put up a brewlog for the turbid mash lambic?

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Yogi, you gonna put up a brewlog for the turbid mash lambic?

Why yes I will. :) It should get started around Monday, since I still am cleaning and converting the kegs. The tops are off, but now I need to scrub the crap out of them...literally. I don't know how long this person had these sitting around, but the one that was half full smelled like vinegar as I was dumping it out...yum... ;)

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Good find, man. But I am know sure what constitutes "real" ;)

Well, until now I've been working with a 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler for a mash tun, and a 20 qt/5 gallon SS pot for my boil kettle. As you might imagine, not the best set-up for 5 gallon batches, since I couldn't fit all of the grain/wort into either container at once. This resulted in me doing two mashes and two boils...not the most fun brewing day. Plus, I can direct fire this "mash tun", whereas that was kind of hard to do with the Rubbermaid... :p

Now, though, I don't have to worry, since I'll have plenty of space for everything in each one. ;) Though, for higher gravity 10 gallon batches, I might be pushing it as far as space is concerned. Luckily, I already have "over-run" equipment (ie the stuff I'm replacing with these keggles :)).

I will agree, I would like a "real" mash tun and boil kettle, but that'll have to wait until I get some kick-butt recipes under my belt.

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
I found an 8 Gallon Stainless Steel pot with a stainless Steel burner on Craig's list the other day for a Ridiculously low price, you have to love it.

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
I will agree, I would like a "real" mash tun and boil kettle, but that'll have to wait until I get some kick-butt recipes under my belt.

That is plenty real to me. I was just teasing because I use a cooler and an 8 gallon ss pot, and although not a professional set-up, I would consider it real...

TDMooney

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 2, 2011
Elkridge, Maryland
Craigslist has some people selling big chest freezers for pretty good prices around the MD, Chesapeake area, might look into calling one of them some time soon.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns