• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Broken Carboy!!! Beware!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Brego Brew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
I was going to post this in the 'equipment' section, but this sub-forum gets more traffic and I want people to be aware of the dangers of glass carboys.

I picked up 6 more 5 gallon glass carboys from an old wine maker for $15 each but had no place to put them. I decided that I would Clear out the side of my bedroom closet that I only use to store articles of clothing that are waiting to go out for donation. I started totally tearing my room apart and decided that I could easily use half of my bedroom (yes, I'm currently single) for Mead Making. So by now half my room is torn apart and on top of my bed is some more stuff that needs to be consolidated, so I slept on my couch in the living room. Next to where my new carboys are standing on the ground...

I'm sleeping like a dang baby, when I start having a really bad dream. There is some family crap going on and it has become personal so I'm pretty stressed out and my dreams are getting more and more stressing, as well. In this dream a family member begins attacking me and I have to defend my self, he grabs my shoulders and the only thing left to do is Kick him in the nuts like a freakin' banshee. Guess what?, it was no longer just a dream, I woke up with my foot half-way through the incredibly powerful drop kick and screeching straight down on to one of my new carboys.
My heel makes contact with the shoulder of the vessel, just below the neck, and a very large section of the carboy Explodes sending glass flying EVERYWHERE, and I'm not talking little shards like you get when you drop a dish, these shards are little razors, and they will slice every single finger you attempt to use during the process of cleaning the mess.

Thankfully my heel is fine, not even a bruise, but this could've been Much worse.

Be careful where and how you place your carboys, people! They can be very dangerous if mishandled.

BrokenCarboy.jpg

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Holy crap! :eek:

...So I guess the real lesson is if you're stressed, don't sleep within reach of anything breakable... hopefully your situation will get better, family crap sucks...

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
Holy Moses! :eek:

That could have turned out A LOT worse. I am glad that you are safe, man.

be well.

triarchy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 28, 2010
WI
Haha, wow. Imagine how bad it would have been if you had a girlfiend/wife. Try explaining that drop kick to them ;D I elbowed my wife accidentally in my sleep around 15 years ago and she still brings it up from time to time. I get a chuckle out of it from time to time, but she still cant see the funny in it.

gray

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yeah. I actually punched my wife in my sleep once :(. She doesn't bring it up often, but now she laughs... I still find it scary considering how frequent my bad dreams are. Anyyyway... you gotta treat your carboys like your loved one(s). Gentle hands and loving touches... the occasional hug and tender words may or may not help during fermentation. And if you're prone to bad dreams or acting out your action sequences you're best off facing the wall, which will usually fare better than your fist or foot and wont be angry in the morning :D

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I've been doing martial arts for the better part of 30 years, and woke up (at that time I'd "only" done MA for 20 years) with my current girlfriend in a strangle hold. I was dreaming I catched a mugger...Scary thing is that the strangle hold was picture perfect, and she had no way to even nudge me to get attention...20 more seconds... :S

On another note, I was only washing my glass carboy way back when. Lifted it off the ground to get the scolding hot water out of it and accidentally dropped it onto the stone floor. The carboy broke into a gazillion pieces, scolding hot water on the floor and no shoes (or even socks). Had to decide if I wanted to jump from the water or stand still because of the glass....Dang, that was hot :S

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
Crazy. Had a dream last night where some dude shouldered into me, so I backhanded him across the face, then punched in his nose for him, and topped it all off with an uppercut.

...problem is, I totally tried to give my wife the uppercut. :eek: Thankfully my sleeping punches are totally weaksauce. Not the first time this kind of thing has happened either. Maybe we should switch sides of the bed...

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Ice: don't worry about it. Just remember to put on your sleeping mitts and get your wife to use her mouth guard :p

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I think I'm now happy that the worst my husband does is roll himself up like a cocoon in all the blankets, leaving me with nothing...

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
And I sleep alone. Well, except for 4 cats. They don't just hog the blankets, they hog the whole darned bed!

I'm so uber careful of carboys because although I am not worried about thrashing at one in my sleep, I don't want to accidently drop one either. I've seen enough docs, stitches, scans, etc. in the last few years already, thanks anyway. :eek:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've cushioned the floor of my wine corner with foam (nicer on feet than concrete floor!) and I try to never wash the outside of a carboy with anything that might make it slippery if I have to move it. And there's also something very wrong if I am close enough to kick one in my sleep, because that would mean I'm sleeping in the kitchen or the basement, neither of which are sensible places to sleep... must remember to post photo of what it looks like after you drop a full plastic carboy though. Very exciting.

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
because that would mean I'm sleeping in the kitchen or the basement, neither of which are sensible places to sleep...

Uhm. Right. You're not a guy ;) Sensible place to sleep = where you are when you get sleepy. One of the few reasons I bother to go to bed (actually, I shouldn't, because it's so much nice to have clean sheets when I get "visits") is that my dog keeps kicking me off the couch to get more space for himself. As long as he gets at least 75% of my queen size bed he's pretty calm :p

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Chortle! Nope, she's not and neither am I. I'm too fond of my creature comforts to sleep in the kitchen!

But the foam sounds like a fantastic idea, CG, even though I don't have a dedicated brew area like your basement.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns