• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Can you settle this question?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ant_Man

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2011
I once read an article where a guy claimed that as a boy he made mead by putting honey and water in a plastic bottle and leaving it.

Most of the recipes I've seen use yeast and insist on sterile demijons to stop it going bad.

Would it work at all out of interest to just leave it in a bottle, and what would it be like?

Just want to know what's going on with that.

gray

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2011
Seattle, WA
I once read an article where a guy claimed that as a boy he made mead by putting honey and water in a plastic bottle and leaving it.

Most of the recipes I've seen use yeast and insist on sterile demijons to stop it going bad.

Would it work at all out of interest to just leave it in a bottle, and what would it be like?

Just want to know what's going on with that.

It's entirely possible to make mead by putting honey and water in a plastic bottle and leaving it. This is spontaneous fermentation (or natural fermentation or wild yeast fermentation) and relies on yeast that's already contained in/on the ingredients used or on airborne yeasties that are local to your region.

Will it be great? Could be. Your chances are probably better in rural areas than in a city. Will it be reproducible if it is great? Probably not.

Leaving honey and water out to the open and hoping it will make good mead is a crapshoot. From beer to wine to sourdough bread, spontaneous fermentation is definitely used to this day to make quality products and was a common method (and sometimes the most common method) of Mead fermentation in days long past.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Yeah, just leaving it open for some yeast flying around in the air to land in it and start fermenting is possible, not exactly highly recommended, but possible. You'd definitely not want to cap it, because it'll blow up, and it's almost as likely to just spoil and become honey vinegar as it is to turn into mead...

tweak'e

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2011
NewZealand
i have a few locals here and thats the only way they make mead. honey and water in a bucket, throw a towel over the top and leave it.
you have to remember the honey comes with wild yeast in it already.

gray

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2011
Seattle, WA
i have a few locals here and thats the only way they make mead. honey and water in a bucket, throw a towel over the top and leave it.
you have to remember the honey comes with wild yeast in it already.

Are their products any good? Maybe you could cultivate a small batch of yeasties and ship some over here :) A yeast exchange program of sorts.

Ant_Man

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2011
Hey thanks for the responses. So it looks like the story could be truthful.

I like the idea of leaving it in a bucket, I might give it a go.

Could any of you hazard a guess about the amount of water?

Say to limit the damages I use 500g raw honey (1.10 pounds), put it in a clean container with a towel on top.

Stir it a lot for three days to oxygenate...then transfer?

I will report back on the taste. :)

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
If you're going to try to experiment with a wild (or feral) yeast strain, I'd suggest that you do it with a small starter volume first. That way you can not feel too bad about tossing it if the fermentation begins to display undesirable characteristics. When I did my "Wild Thing" ferment a few years back, I pulled a couple of leaves and berries off of a mountain currant bush out on the property, and placed them in a jar with a mixture of honey and water at a starting gravity of around 1.050, if memory serves. Not a huge amount at first - maybe just about a half liter or so. Then, once i was sure that I liked the way the ferment was proceeding in the jar, I doubled the volume, added some Fermaid-K, and let that go for a couple of days more. Finally I was ready for the main batch - and I pitched that wild starter into my main batch of must.

It worked well - but as Oskaar points out, I've been making mead and dumping the lees onto the property here for quite a while, so I may simply have cultured a "feral" strain of winemaking yeast. It could have just as easily ended up being undrinkable swill, so the initial starter culture did two things for me - it helped to develop the colony cell count of the strain, and it allowed me to get a warm feeling early in the process that I wasn't pitching a strain known for generating lots of acetic acid, or worse....

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
... it not being yeast after all but some bacteria, and making something toxic? (probably a stretch, I know)

... pretty sure the yeast won't escape and murder you in the night though :)

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Having it make your whole place smell like a dead skunks... so bad that you wish the yeast would crawl out and put you out of your misery.
Ask me how I know.

Vinegar isn't the worst case scenario, at least that has a purpose! If it just turned into some random spoiled garbage I'd really be mad.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns