• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Adding fermentables in stages?

Barrel Char Wood Products

gron151

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 13, 2010
Are there any bennifits or disadvantages in adding your fermentables in stages.

Yeast was D-47

I was board about a month ago and had 6lb of hone and 10lb of pears so whiped up a 5 gallon batch that i had planned to just carbonate in a keg, thought it would maybe be something light and tasty. Well after it was done or at lest mostly done fermenting it tasted almost like nothing. So this week i racked and then added another 3 lb honey and another 8lb of pears and its fermenting nicely again. now my plan is to taste again when fermenting stops and follow the same process if needed.

I realize that not follow a great process on this batch but that really wasnt the intent from the start.

Thoughts?

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
From what I understand, soft fruits like pears, plums, peaches, etc. take some time to develop any discernible fruit character. While you should be fine adding more fermentables (provided you add more nutrients to help the yeast not become stressed), but it probably won't help much as far as flavor is concerned. You might get more pear character, but I'd say aging is the only real way to get flavors to blossom. In a few months, you probably won't even recognize this mead (flavor wise).

jayich

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Are there any bennifits or disadvantages in adding your fermentables in stages.

Yeast was D-47

I was board about a month ago and had 6lb of hone and 10lb of pears so whiped up a 5 gallon batch that i had planned to just carbonate in a keg, thought it would maybe be something light and tasty. Well after it was done or at lest mostly done fermenting it tasted almost like nothing. So this week i racked and then added another 3 lb honey and another 8lb of pears and its fermenting nicely again. now my plan is to taste again when fermenting stops and follow the same process if needed.

I realize that not follow a great process on this batch but that really wasnt the intent from the start.

Thoughts?

I have made many berry melomels by adding fruit and more honey in the secondary to keep gravity up and too keep fermentation going. I have had generally good results using this technique with the exception of one berry melomel which I believe became oxidized from multiple rackings and additions of fermentables which caused too much air exposure. So I would advise if you add extra fermentables to the secondary(or late in the primary), that you avoid too much air exposure and splashing, and if you can, use CO2 to blanket your mead as much as possible during these procedures.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns