• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

2 part question about Temperature and Humidity

Barrel Char Wood Products

peterson

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2011
Spokane, WA
During the primary fermentation which temperature range should I use; the one used in the recipe or the one stated on the yeast package?

Also,

Does the humidity matter in the room where my fermentation and storage is taking place?

Thanks,

Jess P.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Hi Jess and welcome to GotMead!

Temperature: it depends. What recipe are you using? What yeast are you using? In general, lower temps lead to slower fermentation but also lower production of fusels and other volatiles. Too high a temperature can lead to very high fusel and/or phenol concentrations that might taste like paint thinner or band-aids. "Low" and "high" are strain-dependent, however, so actual temperatures will vary.

Humidity matters if you're using a porous container (like a barrel), as it controls evaporation rate (along with temperature). If you're using plastic, glass, or steel, there should be little to no effect of humidity other than the rate of evaporation of liquid in the airlock after fermentation is complete.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Hello peterson,

Welcome to GOTMEAD?

The temp range on the yeast package is the max range they will ferment, not the ideal range to ferment. Try to stay on the lower side the middle and you should be fine. Cooler ferments are slower, which makes for a cleaner end product.

Store mead the same as you would wine, cool and dry, if they are in a corked bottle.

I don't really think humidity plays much of a role in the fermentation. Just don't leave your honey open to long, as it will pull moisture from the air.

Hope that helps.

-M-

peterson

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2011
Spokane, WA
Thanks everyone,

Here is some additional information:

So far I have used Lalvin EC-1118 and 71B-1122 which have temperature ranges from 50 to 86 deg F and 59 to 86 deg F respectively. Whereas, the recipe I am using calls for temperatures in the range of 60 to 75 deg F. I would imagine the temperatures stated in the recipe are directed for the very reasons you’ve stated. My new fermentation room is at a constant 79 deg F and I have batch with a strong band-aid like taste, so now I understand why. I don’t mind slower fermentations due to lower fermentation temps if the end result is a higher quality product.

As for humidity, I’m taking it that since I use a 6.5gal wine bucket for my primary fermentation and rack into glass for the additional stages I should not have to worry about it as much. But when I am storing the corked bottles I should keep the humidity down. Correct?

Thanks again,

Jess P.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Yeah I'd keep the temp below 70 if at all possible. Below 65 is even better IMO.

Very low humidity promotes the corks drying out. Usually you want humidity in the 50-70% range for wine storage. Unless you're storing these bottles for decades though, it probably doesn't matter that much.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns