• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hi all

Barrel Char Wood Products

leesbees

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2011
Uk
Hi all
I am new to home brew, I was wondering can you just replace the same amount of honey as sugar like where it says 3lb sugar just put in 3lb honey with yeast nutrient, :confused: I am looking for recipes that i can use from my allotment, I made some broad bean wine last year from C J Berry. worked out fine. got some barley i would like to try
Hope some one has the answer
Thanks
Lee

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Because sugar by weight is all sugar, and honey by weight is mostly sugar and partially water, you need a little bit more honey by weight, for a 1-gal batch a good ballpark is 1/4 lb to 1/2 lb, just keep an eye on your specific gravity :)

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
A rough rule of thumb is to estimate the moisture content of honey at 20% so that it is 80% sugar by weight. If you have a recipe that call for 2 Kg sugar, about 2.5 Kg of honey will get you there. If you have a more precise measurement of the moisture in your honey, you can probably get closer.

However, rather than going by weight, I encourage folks to go by the starting gravity for the recipe and use whatever amount is needed to hit the starting gravity. That will give more-consistent results

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Hi all
I am new to home brew, I was wondering can you just replace the same amount of honey as sugar like where it says 3lb sugar just put in 3lb honey with yeast nutrient, :confused: I am looking for recipes that i can use from my allotment, I made some broad bean wine last year from C J Berry. worked out fine. got some barley i would like to try
Hope some one has the answer
Thanks
Lee
Probably best if you tried the same, but then checked the must with a hydrometer.

Or what the hell, make up a half pint of water with, say, 4oz sugar, then do the same for the same amount of water and 4oz of honey. Let it cool to about 20C and then take a measurement. That'd give you a guide.

It'd demonstrate the differences, like when you compare table sugar i.e. sucrose and glucose/dextrose. The glucose is something like only 79% as sweet as sucrose and it's reflected if you make the syrup and test it......

Medsens number crunching usually isn't far of the mark. Of course, he also already alluded to the different moisture contents of different honeys. It shows why, if I make a gallon batch with one type of honey (using say, 3 and 1/2 lb in the gallon) I'll get one result, and a different one with a different honey but the same weight.

regards

fatbloke

leesbees

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2011
Uk
thanks

Thank you for your reply
I plan on starting a batch of barley mead tomorrow I have the barley.
looking in C J Berry it says grape concentrate can i use raisins instead.

it also says amylozyme. do i need this if so will have to pick some up from the brew shop, I need to go get some bottles anyway.

I Have just racked of 10 demijohn's one beekeepers mead, a strawberry mead and a old C J Berry one that was in the old book that we throw out when we got a new one. In that one we put ginger we have 5 gallons of it but can not remember what else went in to it ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns