• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JAOM still fermenting?

Barrel Char Wood Products

SandmanATHF

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
Indiana
About two and half months ago I brewed up my first mead, a JAOM. I followed it perfectly, and all seemed to work great. It cleared so beautifully about 2 to 3 weeks ago but was still bubbling so i decided to put the bottling off until now, my spring break. So I moved the jug to where I was gonna bottle from and stirred up a lot of the lees. I had it fermenting in our basement for the first two months (60 degrees or so). I then moved it upstairs where it's about 75 degrees. Now my question is, is it safe to bottle? Small bubbles are still being formed in the mead. My gut tells me it's degassing from the temp change and whatnot, but I'm a noob, so looking for some input. And I know, I should check with my hydrometer but I dont have one haha Thanks for any help!

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
If you don't have a hydrometer to be certain, then wait. In a warmer area the yeast may be able to ferment more and this recipe calls for it to be kept in a 70-80F area. Wait until it isn't doing any bubbling and is totally (read newspaper through it) clear.

Welcome to GotMead!

jellybelly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Pelzer, SC
Started my first JAO on Feb 5th...

I started 4 gallons and just racked off one of them as there was no discernable activity. The others have very low activity. I have had them in a cupboard at @ 66 degrees like you. Spring is coming so that's about to change.

Like you I have no Hydrometer, so I'm just "shooting from the hip".

I'll probably rack the others in the next few weeks, just to clarify. The key so far seems to be patience.

:)

SandmanATHF

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
Indiana
Thanks Medsen for the help, but I was pretty confident they were just degassing and wanted to get it bottled asap because otherwise I would have to wait another 2 months. Just had someone check the bottles yesterday and there was no pressure so I think I am good to go. Thanks again! Now done with my first batch, ready to make another :p

0318110147a.jpg

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Well, ECM if it isn't done you can always pop the bottles and let any excess pressure out. I wish I had a bunch of those grolsch bottles!

SandmanATHF

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
Indiana
Yeah that was my original plan, and checked a bottled today popped it open and no real pressure. I think these bottles are great for beginners like myself, cheaper than buying a corker and wine bottles, and great to make sure you don't have bottle bombs.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns