• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Southpaw?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I'm ambidextrous. Doesn't matter to me - it's just which way I learn it. Used to be a menace in the ring when I did kickboxing. Started out right handed and switched when I got my opponent rocked :D

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Lefty-dominant, ambi-learned because of so much stuff that just doesn't work lefty... My mom is righty-dominant ambi, my dad was full lefty, I have an aunt and an uncle on mom's side who are full lefties so it runs in the family...

I can do most things passably with either hand, can't cut a straight line using scissors or shoot a pool ball straight with either hand, I can sew or crochet with either hand, I peel carrots lefty and potatoes righty (don't ask, doesn't make sense to me either) and if I accidentally pick up a pen to write something with my right hand, it comes out mirror-image. My left hand can't figure out the mouse buttons (left-click vs right-click is apparently not intuitive when you switch, so much death in Minesweeper!) but my right hand's kind of klutzy so my preference is a right-handed fingers-trackball because my right thumb isn't smart enough to work a trackball all by itself... Could never make up my mind for high-jump, long jump or baseball which side was dominant, lefty for golf, righty for two-handed sword (because I learned a Japanese style where there allegedly ARE no lefties), lefty for sword-and-shield, ambi for one-handed sword, no shield...

At university it looked like we had slightly higher than the expected 10% southpaws in the engineering program. Either that or a bunch of us southpaws seemed to hang around in the same crew. <shrug>

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
*lol* I peel potatoes righty, eat (usually) lefty, but if my food's on the wrong side of the plate I just switch. Easier than turning the plate :D

Man, I thought I was lazy. :)

But my dad was like that too--used both hands, for different things, but mostly righty.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I'm fairly ambi - even through decades of "Right" programming. ;D I started out as a left dominant person and even learned to print with my left hand. Then, early into 1st grade I got my left hand caught in a trap door (OUCH! I still remember the intensity of that pain!!), and two smashed fingers later (which took several months to heal up to the point where I was comfortable grasping things again), I had to re-learn how to print/write. After that it was most things, including eating, left handed - but anything with a pen or pencil, right handed.

Smarrikåka

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
www.mjodhamnen.se
I thought I was wrong once, but discovered I was mistaken.

But...if you thought you were wrong, but was mistaken, then you were wrong about thinking you were wrong...though if that's true that means that you were right about thinking you were wrong, and your discovery was the mistake.

PS If you found this confusing, then you are right. DS

Last edited:

havoc64

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
I am a lefty, all the way, Write, shoot, eat, bat and throw all left handed.

My Grandmother, who was left handed, used to tell me this.

"God could only create so many perfect people, he made everyone else right-handed"

I miss her...

mccann51

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2010
Southwestern USA
I'm ambidextrous. Doesn't matter to me - it's just which way I learn it. Used to be a menace in the ring when I did kickboxing. Started out right handed and switched when I got my opponent rocked :D

It's funny how much it throws opponents off fighting southpaw.

My parents saw I was favoring my left hand and had me start to use my right hand; it's a mixed bag which I favor now - I try to switch it up to keep the ol brain active - but I'd say I'm right-handed. Of course, I always take caution and imbibe alcohol with a drink in both hands.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Rightie handed, except for eating which I do ambi-European style.
Leftie politics.
Dad's a southpaw.
Since it's genetic, I guess that means I have one left hand!

Displaced Hick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
Arlington, WA
Left handed in everything except using a mouse. Even learned to read playing cards upside down because of it:) which makes reading what someone else is writing very easy.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns