• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JAOM and showing?

Barrel Char Wood Products

PamW

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Has anyone entered any of their Joe's in any shows? What was the results/feedback? Which category did you enter it under? What did you call it?

I'm on my 4th batch of Joe's at the moment (a 10 gallon batch with Cara Cara oranges and golden raisins), and was thinking about entering some in next year's Mazer Cup. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
There's some discussion of this in the JAOM thread.

In general it's a good mead that is ready fast, but it's not going to be award winning. There's not much in the way of changes that could make it award winning either.

It wasn't designed to win awards, it was designed to be easy for first timers that is drinkable fast and fairly good (but not great)

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
It might surprise you.
JAO has been entered in competitions and does earn medals. The recipe is a good one. If you use it with some particularly good flavored honey, and give it appropriate aging, you may get the right balance to win awards.

I stand corrected then. I was going off of what I had read in the JAOM thread... guess I should keep reading more before thinking I know it all *blush*

PamW

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Tucson, AZ
mmaclean, thanks for the input on what your Joe's did. Excellent notes and thank you for sharing the judging notes. Very much appreciated.

Thank you Medsen and Loadnabox for the input. I was asking because a few people in my LHBC were telling me I ought to enter mine in some local competitions. The stuff I've made so far has garnered me lots of hugs and party re-invites. I've already got a case of 375 ml bottles spoken for out of the 10 gallon batch I'm currently fermenting. While it should be done about the end of May or early June, I won't let it out of my hands until its been in the bottle for 3 months.

As for what to call it... I was thinking of calling it Joe's Orange Spice. I don't want to give the impression that the mead itself is old when its the recipe that is. Any thoughts?

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I don't think Judges get to see the name of the mead, usually just a style description and any notes you include with it. I'd call it what it is, JAO. Nobody in mead circles will be confused if they haven't been living under a rock! ;)

PamW

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Thank you Alan for the information. My LHBC has several people that dabble in mead making, but none had heard of this site before I mentioned it to them. Needless to say, none of them had heard of JAO either, which is partly what prompted my question.

Thanks to all for your input. I'd like to help prove that JAO is indeed a world class recipe.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Ha, I do sometimes forget that people other than gotmead members make mead too! Either way, the name is the name since it's someone else's recipe they get to name it.

That recipe is surprisingly famous even off this website, but often not published under it's real name.

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
Thanks to all for your input. I'd like to help prove that JAO is indeed a world class recipe.

Well, I'm from the other side of the world and I like it... Just tasted my first JAO and I found it delicious. Tasted a bit hot/spicy, but I'm not sure if it's the 2 cloves I threw in... or from the warm ferment...

Given the hot weather this past week it's not harsh at all... Mine was a standard JAO (99% to the letter)... only difference was that I used Orange Blossom instead of Clover (though the recipe does say you can use whatever you want)... That made it a tad bit sweeter I think...

Allen Brown

NewBee
Registered Member
In 2009 I made a batch of JOAM and I added some strawberries & blackberries to it, and last year I enetered it into the Indy International Wine Competition.

I got a double gold medal, and a trophy for "Ameteur Honey Wine Blend Of The Year".

There were two categories of mead, Straight Mead, and Blend Mead.

Don't let anybody tell you it can't be done. ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns