• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Juicing

Barrel Char Wood Products

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
So I'm prepping for making Oskaarz subtle strawberry and trader Joes canceled their Sir Strawberry! :eek:

Looking around I can't find anything that's pure unadulterated strawberry (Everything has sugar and/or vitamins added to make a nutrition smoothie)

So I'm figuring it will be easier to make my own juice, buy a juicer and get extra strawberries when I hit the u-pick farm in another week. But I'm not sure how much extra I will need. Does anyone have a good resource for helping to determine approximately how much fruit you'll need to get X amount of juice?

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Thanks Medsen,

I found this juicer for $19.99 at goodwill woot for thrift store deals! Now for more strawberries

oh dear god I'm obsessed with mead now.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
It's scary how fast it takes over your brain isn't it? It's almost like the stuff was a drug or something. ;)

It does seem to come under control after a year or so though (still make lots of mead, just less than before, and less crazy about trying to ferment everything I could get my hands on!).

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
My wife will be happy when I settle out some. Right now I still have at least three batches planned.

A Dandelion Mead (dry)
A marshmallow fluff show mead (dry)
Angel Food cake mead (dessert)

and if #2 goes well I plan on expanding it to using a meadowfoam to enhance the marshmallow flavor.

Right now my wife is just sick of hearing about mead :p

In the mean time I'm trying to figure out which one I should try next, I'm kinda split between the marshmallow fluff show mead and the angel food cake mead.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
My girlfriend was soooo sick of me talking about mead, making mead, sick of how every time I was in the grocery store and saw a fruit I'd start talking baout making mead with it... until about 6 months in when she got to start drinking the stuff! Then she was all for it!

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
My girlfriend was soooo sick of me talking about mead, making mead, sick of how every time I was in the grocery store and saw a fruit I'd start talking baout making mead with it... until about 6 months in when she got to start drinking the stuff! Then she was all for it!

I'm hoping a batch of strawberry mead will change my wife's opinion ;D

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
A Dandelion Mead (dry)
A marshmallow fluff show mead (dry)
Angel Food cake mead (dessert)

In the mean time I'm trying to figure out which one I should try next, I'm kinda split between the marshmallow fluff show mead and the angel food cake mead.

Dandelions are In Season!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Have you ever had dandelion honey? It's pretty unique stuff, I'm going to try a 1 gallon batch of traditional with it soon.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
"Hey, I could ferment that!" (boy is my husband sick of hearing THAT) :)

I'd think dandelion honey would be from hives near a mown field or something, they do flower all summer as long as you chop everything else down periodically... cool!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
The question I've always had about dandelion honey though, is why would anyone do that? Bees fly really far, so it'd have to be one bloody huge field too. Unless someone is farming dandelion greens? Other than that, my best bet is that "dandelion honey" isn't in fact really a varietal, but an urban honey where the beekeeper is pretty sure those are the main souce. It does seem to have pretty much the same flavour regardless of where I get it though, so that seems to support the mysterious dandelion farm theory. (Plus the one beekeeper I get it from also has hives in his suburban backyard, and he doesn't call that stuff dandelion honey, 2 totally different products for him)

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
No, because they're also food.

Personally I find them much prettier than grass, grass is a waste of space unless it's wild or feeding something (if I owned my place I'd rip it all out and plant stuff I can eat).

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I know you can eat them. I've seen recipes for salads that call for dandelion leaves... But I've also seen ads for pesticides / weedkillers that also mention that the product will also kill dandelions...

Sorry! Your post confused me a bit, the wording just made me unsure if you knew they were also food!

:)

EDIT: Now I see where my problem was, I totally missed the winky face at the end! Oops...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns