• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How many of us play an instrument?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
After reading the thread on favorite music types, I started wondering how many of us might play an instrument. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a good number of us -- people who brew, vint or make mead, I tend to think, are mostly creative people who get into all kinds of things.

I'm an old guy, well past the half century mark, but I've picked up the Irish tin whistle and bodhran over the last couple of years, and now play with a band, The Sligo Bay Balladiers (we're on Facebook!).

I'm attaching a small clip of our band.

Anyone else play an instrument of some kind?

--

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I played guitar in a band for a long time, still play a little bit (wish I played more!), mostly just record bands now. I can also play (very poorly) some drums and piano (though I'm decent on a djembe or congas).

I like all these getting to know each other threads, nice touch to the site. ;D

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Erm, no. Not well at all, I tried the flute and the trombone in jr. high, where I discovered that I can't read music AND play an instrument concurrently... I think my fingers are just untrainable, been using the same keyboard for a decade and the backspace button is still the most worn out one. I'm not bad for singing in a choir though, I've got a decent ear and at least vocal control is instinctive. Even if my voice isn't too nice on its own, it's good background support and I love harmonizing, generally the only one who has to listen to me is the car. Kudos to those of you who actually CAN make pleasant sounds from an instrument though!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Trying to learn theory and read music is a huge part of why people quit playing instruments. When I was a guitar teacher I just taught people to play, and some very basic theory behind understanding what they were playing. You can always learn to read the stuff later, but if you stop playing it's all over! (Can't read a single note of properly written music myself. I can read tablature, but anyone can read tab after a few minutes of instuction. Can't read and play at the same time though)

veritas

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 7, 2007
Wisconsin BEER Capitol USA
I tried to play the bodhran and some other drums but no use not so able. But hey someone has to listen and I do a lot of that. For some reason I have lots of friends that have amazing musical ability. So Im lucky in the listening department.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
I went to a magnet school in high school where I got college level music theory writing composing and even playing three instrument parts in my own song. I used the in-school recording studio to play one part at a time then go back and even did the final mix myself.

It was the worst music ever written...dead serious

I never got good at jazz, I was much better at music that was written down 'cause then I only had to worry about putting the emotional emphasis into it.

I played for several years with the Phoenix Youth Symphony Orchestra and even played with the Phoenix Symphony on two occasions. My primary instrument was trombone.

Gespacho

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 26, 2011
Calgary AB Canada
Does playing badly still count? I've been dabbling in the guitar for the past few years. Before that, I was in piano lessons all the way through primary school and was in choir the whole time. I'm pretty sure that the voice should count as a musical instrument too.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
I played saxaphone poorly when I was younger. Learned the dulcimer while I was taking West Virginia history in middle school and completely enjoyed that and wish I had one I could still play. Music playing has never come easy to me, but I am an artist, so I'm still pretty creative. :D

Gespacho

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 26, 2011
Calgary AB Canada
I played saxaphone poorly when I was younger. Learned the dulcimer while I was taking West Virginia history in middle school and completely enjoyed that and wish I had one I could still play. Music playing has never come easy to me, but I am an artist, so I'm still pretty creative. :D

Dulcimer? Now that is old fashioned.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I used to have a hammered duclimer, very cool instrument.

Accordian is one of those instruments like banjo that gets a bad rap, they're perfectly wonderful sounding instruments, people just happen to hate the genres that are typically played on them!

Gespacho

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 26, 2011
Calgary AB Canada
I used to have a hammered duclimer, very cool instrument.

Accordian is one of those instruments like banjo that gets a bad rap, they're perfectly wonderful sounding instruments, people just happen to hate the genres that are typically played on them!

Don't underestimate the banjo. My cousin has been playing the banjo in a band for a couple of decades. They have kind of a country/rock sound to them.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I love banjos, just don't love anything country! Just doesn't sit well with my eardrums for some reason.

I really want to use some banjos in a metal album, I'm just waiting for a band that has a part that just screams to me that it should be a 6 string banjo with full on metal distortion! (Or even in a spacey rock album could be awesome, with just some light distortion and reverb... I've really got to buy one of those!)

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Which dulcimer? Hammered, or Appalachian lap dulcimer? I'm curious because I taught myself to play a hammered dulcimer, too, a few years (er, ahem, decades I mean) back.

Applachian lap dulcimer, we made the instruments in shop and then learned to play them in our music class. People may disparage folks from WV as unlearned, but I learned some of the most amazing things while living there.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Applachian lap dulcimer, we made the instruments in shop and then learned to play them in our music class. People may disparage folks from WV as unlearned, but I learned some of the most amazing things while living there.

Diatonic or Twelve-Tone-Equal-Temperament (12TET)?

I love diatonic instruments.

Mars Colonist

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2010
Mars, obviously
www.facebook.com
Drummer for a couple of bands... havent played a lick in about 2 yrs.
mike.jpg

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
The difference is the frets. Our modern western note system we divide the octave evenly into 12 notes, but more ancient (and scientifically correct actually) note systems are based only on the notes you would use in a single piece of music/scale, and these instruments aren't just missing the unused frets (if they have frets) the distance between notes is different.

Diatonic means "as per the scale" (sorta), and the intonation system (distance between notes) is called Just Intonation, rather than our modern 12TET. Inbetween the 2 systems is what used to be used in Europe (and what most classical music was written for) which are the "tempered intonations" which do divide the octave into 12 notes, but they are not evenly space - so you get a bit of both worlds.

The advantage of Just Intonation is that every note is much much more "in-tune" with the root note (but not necessarily with each other) than in our modern 12TET, but it is not as versatile, and notes can't be stacked as much (because in a big chord the notes might all be perfect with the root note, but not play nice with each other).

In 12TET the advantage is that you can change scales or keys mid song, and that every key sounds exactly the same, just higher or lower. Also, because all the notes (other than the octaves) are slightly out of tune with the root note (in some cases much more than slightly) they play nicer with each other. So we can stack melodies and chords until the cows come home.

In a tempered intonation you can still stack stuff like in 12TET, but you get different results. In 12TET a minor chord is exactly the same, regardless of it's root, but in a tempered system some minor chords are more in or out of tune than others, and in different ways (same with scales. The minor scale might sound more "sad" in the key of F, then more angry in D, etc).

It's remarkable the possibilities that exist. I'd be happy to elaborate on the science behind why in some ways Just Intonation is "more correct" (Indian music uses Just Intonation) but depending on what your desired result is, 12TET, or a tempered 12 note system might work better (There's more than just 12TET too. In 12TET the 5ths and 4ths are nearly perfect, but the Major and Minor 3rds are very out of tune (especially major to my ear). But in a different one, maybe 33TET (I made that up) maybe the 4ths and 5ths are horrible, but the 3rds are excellent).

ANYWAYS - does yours have frets like a guitar, or are there some places where the spaces between frets are much bigger or smaller than on a guitar? Mountain Dulcimers are typically diatonic as I understand it.

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
I play an English style button accordion (Melodian) for English dance mostly Morris, Longsword and rapper, though I've also been known to play for Contras occasionally too. I also play most of the tin whistle, recorder, Irish flute genre of instruments.

Nothing better than spending a cold rainy afternoon with your finds in a pub drinking beer and playing music.

If you ever go traveling to third world countries, learn a tune or two on a tin whistle and take with you, you'll find it is the best ice breaker there is.

Jay

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns