• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Milwaukee Area World Of Beer Fest w/ Mead & Cider Area

Barrel Char Wood Products

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
I am working on getting the meads and ciders in place again this year. Not the biggest part of the Festival, but we will have a decent selection to choose from. If you can make it, let me know.

Beer Barons' World of Beer Festival

A beer festival by beer nuts for beer nuts. Sample Craftbrews, Old
World Beers, Rare and Limited Beers. Presentations on beer, brewing,
and cooking with beer by professionals in the industry and members of
the Beer Barons of Milwaukee Homebrew club. Music by The Squeezettes!

Saturday, June 4, 2011
1:00 - 5:00 pm
Schwabenhof Pavilion (Indoor/Outdoor Facility)
W14750 Silver Spring Drive
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin

$40 advance purchase includes a commemorative glass
$60 VIP with access to additional limited beers and tasting boot
Free admission for designated drivers.

Shuttle buses from around Milwaukee county.

www.wobfest.com
festival@wobfest.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/WorldOfBeerFestival

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Sounds awesome. I forwarded the info to my dad, maybe he can send me pictures.

You guys need to do one of these in late August, I'll actually be in SE WI. :p

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Sounds awesome. I forwarded the info to my dad, maybe he can send me pictures.

You guys need to do one of these in late August, I'll actually be in SE WI. :p

If you can get to WI by the 2nd weekend, the Great Taste of the Midwest will be going on in Madison, WI. Definitely the best beer festival I've ever attended.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
13th? Hmm, it's a possibility. We'll have to see how much fun we have on the western side of the continental divide. Once we pass over that, it should only be a few days to get to WI.

triarchy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 28, 2010
WI
Wow, Im glad you posted this up J. As usual, I had no idea about it but I just got my VIP ticket. My wife (non drinker) and I are really looking forward to this. And by "my wife and I" Im pretty sure I mean just me :p

So, I have a couple different meads and a sparkling cider that I would love to get some feedback on. Is there any provision for bringing some and sharing it? Kind of like an unoffical tasting?

Im really excited about trying B Nektar and AeppelTreow as well as a bunch of the beers. Cant wait!!

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Wow, Im glad you posted this up J. As usual, I had no idea about it but I just got my VIP ticket. My wife (non drinker) and I are really looking forward to this. And by "my wife and I" Im pretty sure I mean just me :p

So, I have a couple different meads and a sparkling cider that I would love to get some feedback on. Is there any provision for bringing some and sharing it? Kind of like an unoffical tasting?

Im really excited about trying B Nektar and AeppelTreow as well as a bunch of the beers. Cant wait!!

I'm pretty sure bringing in outside alcohol (home made or not) is frowned upon. But I don't think they'll be doing a full pat-down at the gate. The only real problem besides that is that we'll be working our asses off at the table and might not be able to give your meads the real attention they deserve. But if you wanted to leave them with us, we could drink them back at the hotel. ;)

triarchy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 28, 2010
WI
I'm pretty sure bringing in outside alcohol (home made or not) is frowned upon. But I don't think they'll be doing a full pat-down at the gate.

Im not really looking to do a re-enactment of my younger days where I viewed sneaking alcohol into events as a personal challenge :D Ill avoid the pat down roulette and just be content to enjoy all the beer & mead there.

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
13th? Hmm, it's a possibility. We'll have to see how much fun we have on the western side of the continental divide. Once we pass over that, it should only be a few days to get to WI.

Great Taste IS the beer fest not to be missed. Proof of that is it sells out every year. I think this is the 20th or some round number like that.

The downside is that it is sold out. You might want to start asking around for tickets now. Last year there were scalpers selling them online at crazy prices. :-( There are usually a few people selling one or two at the bus drop off area. No guarantees on that.

I will be on the Beer Barons bus. We have all of our tickets accounted for. Sorry!

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com

Hmmmm... How do I put this without getting political? :-o

In previous years we had our home made stuff available for the public. We are homebrewers, and love to show off home made beer and mead!

This year ... well ... there are some things happening in Wisconsin like happened in Oregon a couple years ago. There is some dissagreement about serving home made beer, wine, mead, and cider anywhere except the home it was made in.

I don't want to debate the issue here and now. So please don't turn this into a political thread. :-( There will be a time for that later this year as we organize to clarify the laws.

So, there may or may not be homebrewed beer and mead. I'll leave it at that for now.

If you bring something to share, we will gladly share with you. :) Tell the people at the gate Jeff said you can bring your mead in. Then come to the volunteer coordinator booth, normally at the back bar under the pavilion, and share away. :p

Or ... check out the beer barons club. We meet this Wednesday at Clifford's in Hales Corners. Bring your stuff and there are a lot of people willing to give you feedback. Who knows, I may find time to grab a keg of my absinthe mead, or siphon a Growler or the cherry to bring along.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
I'd love to! But, as you might imagine, although the event is over at 5 for the public, for the rest of us, we have a couple hours of cleanup. That is followed by dinner for the crew.

After about 7 or 8 pm there is time to relax and drink. :)

What about a Sunday Brunch & Brew?

triarchy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 28, 2010
WI
If you bring something to share, we will gladly share with you. :) Tell the people at the gate Jeff said you can bring your mead in. Then come to the volunteer coordinator booth, normally at the back bar under the pavilion, and share away. :p

Or ... check out the beer barons club. We meet this Wednesday at Clifford's in Hales Corners. Bring your stuff and there are a lot of people willing to give you feedback. Who knows, I may find time to grab a keg of my absinthe mead, or siphon a Growler or the cherry to bring along.

Great, Ive got a raspberry mel, orange/ginger, and a highly carbonated cider that I feel only slightly nervous about sharing in order to get some unbiased feedback. Id bring my blackberry mel, but it is noticeably hot tasting and Id be a bit embarrassed to have anybody other than friends and family try that yet.

I wont be able to make the beer club at Cliffords unfortunately. Too bad, because the Absinthe mead sounds really interesting.

Mike

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
What about a Sunday Brunch & Brew?

Like the day after Sunday? I happen to have that day open.

Do you mean drink brew, or make?

Where?

I only know of a couple places with mead available. Both are B Nektar. Neither are food though. And, it's in Cedarburg, which is usually not close for most people.

veritas

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 7, 2007
Wisconsin BEER Capitol USA
I unfortunately am on shift the 4th and unable to attend. If you guys get together as a group on one of the following days and are open to more people I would be interested.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Just for clarity, I think the event you're talking about is Great Taste of the Midwest on Saturday Aug 13 in Madison, n'est pas?

http://www.mhtg.org/great-taste-of-the-midwest

I understand this is a sold-out event. I also understand that some people gather on the Friday prior to the event for tastings.

Maybe we could gather Sunday the 14th in the (late) morning after the event for a brunch and mazers' tasting (where we could bring our own brews for critique).

I'm not from MadCity and know nothing of the area, so would be looking to the locals for suggestions that might work. It would need to be a place where we'd be allowed to drink our own brews, though... Maybe in the park, or arboretum?

I don't know how many gotmeaders (Jeff, Mike, Brad, veritas, Aaron, myself, spouses, others?)are close enough to the area to make it a "go," but it's food for thought...

I'd love to try the Absinthe...

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns