• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Carbonating?

Barrel Char Wood Products

PamW

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Tucson, AZ
When it was still carbonated my wife described it as a premium mimosa

Now without the carbonation it tastes kinda like a flat mimosa with a little bite of spice

Interesting idea - carbonating a JAOM. Has anyone ever tried this? Would a forced carbonation be better than attempting a 'natural' carbonation?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
JAO, to the recipe, will probably never "naturally" carbonate in the bottle, at least not safely. The bread yeast can't take this particular mead to dry, and trying to carbonate it with yeast is asking for some glass grenades. Force carbonating would be the way to go.

I'd think the carbonation would highlight the pithiness. Maybe it's sweet enough to cover that too? Honestly I've never had JAO. :eek:

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Make that three.

As for carbonating this batch, force carb sounds like the only viable option.

Make that four.

I am not a big fan of natural carbonation with meads. Not that it CAN'T be done, but I am not satisfied with inconsistency, and would prefer a repeatable method that I don't think I'll get with bottle conditioning. That said, I haven't really put the effort into trying. ;)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
If it's sweet or to the high side of semi-sweet then force carbonating is the way to go.

Dry to the low side of semi-dry works just fine with natural carbonation (secondary ferment in the bottle as in methode champenoise) and the correct and timely application of tirage and dosage as part of the in bottle fermentation.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
The reason that people say not to go with fermentation carbonation on a sweet wine, is that the yeast used to carbonate can take it the rest of the way dry which would result in bottle bombs. Things like beer or dry wines work because you add -just- enough sugar back to the mead to give the desired amount of carbonation. The yeast then takes that dry and dies before it can create a bottle bomb (thanks to running out of food).

In the JAO thread, a number of people including Joe, mention that the biggest improvement many people suggest to the recipe is carbonating it. I don't recall seeing that anyone has actually done it, but I tend to agree and would love to try it.

I also agree that the pithiness is more pronounced later in a JAO's life. Carbonation, from what I can tell in my early mead samples so far, tends to make this way more pronounced. Leaving out the clove, nutmeg, allspice and removing all orange pith would be essential to making sure the carbonation doesn't create something too tangy/bitter to drink.

I don't have a korny keg yet (debating if I have the room and can justify it for making some hard ciders similar to strongbow) but if I do get one, I'm thinking I'll probably carbonate some JAO first thing.

PamW

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Thank you all for the input. I had pretty much discounted natural carbonation for the reasons stated (but, I didn't want to think I might have missed something), and bottle bombs are just not something I really want to deal with. My hubby has a couple of corny kegs, both 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon, and I'm sure I could wheedle him into letting me make the attempt with at least a 2.5 gallon. My current 10 gallon batch of Joe's should give me enough to play with.

Other than my first batch (I'm on my 4th now), I've never had anyone comment on any pithyness in the taste. I don't juice the oranges first, but I do trim out the excess pith at the ends of the slices as well as any of the stuff that 'strings out' from the middle of the slices. I also cut them into slices small enough that I'm not having to smash them too terribly much to get them in the carboy. The only reason for the smaller slices is because I hated the juice going over the outside of the carboy as I smooshed them in and cleaning up the mess. I also add enough water to be able to dissolve the honey using a lees stirrer and a drill before I add the rest of the ingredients, and then give it a more gentle stirring after everything is in by hand with the lees stirrer. The other thing I do is make sure that I get the oranges as ripe as I can. I've used three different kinds of oranges so far; Navels, Valencias, and Cara Cara, and it was the Navels I used n my first batch and were the ones that gave off the pithyness. But, that was also my first batch, and I followed the directions exactly, including how small to cut the oranges. I didn't want to void the warranty. ;D

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Thank you all for the input. I had pretty much discounted natural carbonation for the reasons stated (but, I didn't want to think I might have missed something), and bottle bombs are just not something I really want to deal with. My hubby has a couple of corny kegs, both 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon, and I'm sure I could wheedle him into letting me make the attempt with at least a 2.5 gallon. My current 10 gallon batch of Joe's should give me enough to play with.

Let us know how this turns out! I'll watch with interest!

PamW

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Thanks! I will keep up on posting about this one as its also the first time I've used the Cara Cara oranges. I think I voided the warranty though as I used golden raisins instead of the regular ones. It should clear either the end of this month or the beginning of next, so I should be able to get it under CO2 by at least June 8th or 9th. I lurk more than I post.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Thanks! I will keep up on posting about this one as its also the first time I've used the Cara Cara oranges. I think I voided the warranty though as I used golden raisins instead of the regular ones. It should clear either the end of this month or the beginning of next, so I should be able to get it under CO2 by at least June 8th or 9th. I lurk more than I post.

Happy lurking...

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Now, I haven't had or made JAO, but I can't see carbonation not working well with it. Bubbles are my personal favourite thing to balance out sweetness, seems to just make everything wonderful. :)

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Now, I haven't had or made JAO, but I can't see carbonation not working well with it. Bubbles are my personal favourite thing to balance out sweetness, seems to just make everything wonderful. :)

Exceptiong that a JAO is pretty well balanced already. Perhaps a touch mor ehoney may be needed if carbonating? Unless a drier finish is desired.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Always take anything I say about a sweet (or even semi-sweet) mead with a grain (or handfull) of salt. I'm not one for sweet drinks.

PamW

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Exceptiong that a JAO is pretty well balanced already. Perhaps a touch mor ehoney may be needed if carbonating? Unless a drier finish is desired.

Mine tend to come out rather sweet with the spices balancing that to an extent. Some people have said that its very sweet without being cloying (nice to have an international wine master as a friend to take a sip of your meads now and again for some educated input), which is why when someone mentioned having had mild carbonation in their JAO, I thought that carbonating might knock down the sweet a tad without destroying it entirely. What is nicely sweet to one person is overly sweet to another. I figured if I could cover a slightly wider audience with one part of the batch carbed and the rest not, I'd get to more parties and get more hugs ;)

Still waiting for the recent 10 gallon batch to clear. Sometimes patience isn't my strong suit.

I really appreciate the input here. Its been a big help for me.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Mine tend to come out rather sweet with the spices balancing that to an extent. Some people have said that its very sweet without being cloying (nice to have an international wine master as a friend to take a sip of your meads now and again for some educated input), which is why when someone mentioned having had mild carbonation in their JAO, I thought that carbonating might knock down the sweet a tad without destroying it entirely. What is nicely sweet to one person is overly sweet to another. I figured if I could cover a slightly wider audience with one part of the batch carbed and the rest not, I'd get to more parties and get more hugs ;)

Still waiting for the recent 10 gallon batch to clear. Sometimes patience isn't my strong suit.

I really appreciate the input here. Its been a big help for me.

I know the feeling of waiting sucks, even for a JAO.

My plan is to always have a 5 gallon carboy aging some JOA, when I run out of bottles bottle off the carboy and start a new batch. I don't know -that- many wine drinkers or attend parties -that- much, so I suspect if I do it this way all of my JAO's will get at least 6 months of aging. Well, my first 5 gallon batch might be an exception here, it's probably going to disappear at a campout in a couple of weeks :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Tell me about it. I stupidly filled every gallon jug with JAO (and a couple of trial brews) and my two 23litre carboys within 4 days... now I HAVE to wait, and there's NOTHING I can do to entertain myself!

I guess I could buy another 23litre carboy... hmmm ;D

...aaaaaand that, folks, is how it starts... :)

PamW

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Tucson, AZ
...aaaaaand that, folks, is how it starts... :)

It is indeed! Now that I have three 5 gallon carboys with mead fermenting away happily (two with Joe's in them and the other with a blackberry mel that I started without planning), I'm looking for ways to fund a stainless conical fermenter. All this after only a year.

The 10 gallons of Joe's is going to go fairly fast. I already have two cases of 375 ml. bottles spoken for, another case to age for a year or more, 2.5 gallons to try carbonating, and two cases of 12 oz beer bottles that I'll be sending out intermittently for competitions. The rest will go to parties or find homes quickly enough. They always do. As soon as the carboys are empty, I'll need to start another 10 gallons.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns